Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's very noisy outside my place this evening as something big going on at the Kurdish centre. It seems most Sundays there is something happening with some noise of car horns, squealing and chanting but tonight is much worse. The street is jammed with cars, it's all going on. 

We all have our right to protest or celebrate in public but I feel we also have a right to some peace and quiet at home on a Sunday evening. The car horns is particularly grating. I fear this is going on for some hours longer. It's hard to consider where the balance lies isn't it? 

No doubt some people will simply advise me to move! 

Tags for Forum Posts: kurdish marches

Views: 2733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am with you Ruth. I live on the mouth of Stanhope Gardens with our bedroom facing the street. I have a little baby and a nine yr old. I too am all in agreeance on the big win and by all means celebrate and cheer. They could have danced on the street and I would have joined them. This was however relentless for five hours and apart from the horns, screaming and music there was a traffic jam, and even a fight broke out where a guys car got scratched and he was being pushed around by five other guys. There should be a balance and perhaps we feel it even more because every weekend there is something going on. It would also be nice if the KCC gave us, their neighbours, some prior warning so we are aware.

I suspect it was spontaneous so no warning possible.

Thanks Vanessa for adding to my description of what it was like round here with the cars, no dancing in the street and this celebration didn't feel at all inclusive, no sense of come and join us celebrate. Lots of revving of the car engines as well of slamming on the horns. I witnessed that near-fight amongst those guys which again was just outside my place. Something was bound to happen with all that unsafe driving round the streets. I thought that the police may have come along just to control the traffic and make sure there were no accidents but didn't see one single officer. Tolerance, like democracy, should be two way surely. 

I'm afraid you think I am unsympathetic to the cause and a have a lack of understanding to the history of the Khurdish insurrection. I can assure you I am not. Also I am not some spoiled brat who has never experienced such events in my life. On the contrary. I have seen and lived through many a cheerful moment of euphoria of winning of party elections in Calcutta. As I did say, I would have danced in the street with them, had they taken to the street, instead of jamming it with their cars and causing others to not get in or out or getting aggressive with other motorists and the honking non stop. I think you all are missing the point of my annoyance AND as to the prior notice of the KCC I was referring to their planned events, which I was sharing with Ruth as a person living within spitting distance of the KCC. I am fully aware last night's event was spontaneous.

Tottenham win matches?

I would be complaining about that if they were doing so right in front of where I live for over 5 hours!

This event/celebration was the most noisy I've encountered in all my time living here. My proximity to the hub of it I guess means that I and neighbours heard it longer and louder. And it's not the first time there has been noise on a Sunday evening. It's not a case dissing pro-democracy celebrations.  

Tottenham. Winning. Match. Hahahahahahahahaha..

seem to remember a recent victory over another North London club. Ha ha yourself!

Touche Philip. I hope our love for two very different teams won't stop you from quoting on a bit of handy man work? I'll call you in a minute :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service