Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council Notice

Haringey residents are reminded to be considerate neighbours over the summer months when complaints to the council's noise enforcement team can soar.

Cabinet Member for Environment, Cllr Nilgun Canver, says:

"During the summer months, many residents unwittingly cause their neighbours problems by playing their music too loud, with windows open. We also get a lot of complaints about late night barbecues and outdoor parties.

"In most cases it's just a question of neighbours forgetting that not everyone is on holiday, or not watching the time. So I'm asking people to be mindful of their neighbours, especially on hot evenings when windows and doors are open."

The noise enforcement team offers some suggestions:
  • If a neighbour is being noisy, approach them calmly to see if they will reduce the noise. If you meet with hostility or aggression just walk away.
  • Remember that when windows are open noise travels more easily so keep the volume of music systems, radios and televisions as low as possible, especially at night.
  • If you plan to have a party or BBQ, advise your neighbours or invite them, then they won't be disturbed unnecessarily. Set a finish time (and try to stick to it)Neighbours are less likely to complain if they know when they can expect noise to stop.
  • Make sure your guests are considerate when leaving your home.
However, when necessary, the council will pursue persistent noise nuisance offenders through the courts.
If you have an immediate noise complaint, call the Enforcement Response Team on 020 8348 3148 (evenings and weekends) or 020 8489 1000 during office hours. The service's core hours of operation are Sunday to Thursday 9am to 3am, Friday and Saturdays 9am to 4am, subject to change.    

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is great however (isn't there always one)  we have some really pretty inconsiderate people whose house backs onto our garden, You can guarantee that if the sun is out the  music begins at about 11am. I dont mind people enjoying themselves and having a party but this is so bad that you can't actually go into the garden or have any windows open,  it often goes on into the early hours of the morning.

We spent a lot of time and money making our garden look really nice and can't actually use it in the summer or invite people over ourselves.

These are not the kind of people you reason with - according to neighbours they have a pretty fearsome reputation - which is why everyone tolerates the noise rather than take action.

Sometimes making an issue makes life much more complicated - I dont imagine that calling the noise chaps out once would have any impact in this situation and that this would be one of those cases of having to constantly call them - who wants that hassle and the fear of them finding out its you that reported them! 

Anyone else had persistant noise issues and had it resolved nicely - am tearing my hair out a little bit with this one...

We had the same problem. Please call the noise team it does work and is virtually impossible for the twats to know who reported them.

The noise enforcement process escalates. Something like this - first visit, a warning. Second, written warning. Third, injunction. Next, ASBO. Next, etc. Ends in eviction if a council tenant. Ultimately fines, if defaulting, arrest. 

The noise team will find the house. They do need your address as a starting point, as they have to witness that it is a nuisance from your premises. (BTW This stops me being able to complain about the amplified preachers on the High Road, as I can't quite hear them from my house.)

Being unable to use your garden is ridiculous. We all dont mind the odd party but it's the ones who just invade your sound space all the damn time that I want to immerse in marshmallow. It doesn't even have to be very loud - just there is too much.

so sorry I forgot to follow this and you have all very kindly posted some brilliant suggestions and your own experiences, so feeling much more reassured I am going to go for it the next time one of the parties happen!!!!!!! and then sit blissfully in my quiet garden with a bit cake and a cup of tea.....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service