Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

'NO' to Ending free bulky waste collections and closing the recycling centre

Haringey's current budget proposals will see the end of free bulky and green waste collections and the closure of one of the recycling centres.

These changes are likely to spell real trouble in this borough. It will inevitably lead to a significant increase in dumping with the poorest areas being hardest hit.

Research has shown that introducing a charge can lead to a drop in demand for collections of 50-75% on previous levels. Fly-tipping will increase as a result.

An alternative approach to introducing a collection charge would be to limit or reduce the number of items accepted for free, and/or the number of free collections allowed per year.

An alternative to closing the recycling centre would be to control who uses the centre and make a small charge as appropriate.

The cabinet meets to decide on this issue in two weeks' time. Whilst the consultation is now closed you can still email the cabinet member responsible (peray.ahmet@haringey.gov.uk) and copy your councillor.

Budget proposals: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/local-democracy/policies-and-strategies/...

Survey (CLOSED 22 JAN): http://www.haringey.gov.uk/survey/budget-2017-18

Tags for Forum Posts: rubbish, waste collection, waste collection charges

Views: 5978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you want to know what your council tax gets spent on, you only have to look at the published statement of accounts. All the information is there.

As far as I understand, we are not being asked to put our garden waste in the ordinary bins (although this is of course what will happen). We are being asked to pay extra for garden waste collection, or to take it to the dump ourselves (although only 40%-ish of Haringey households have access to a car). So, as usual with cuts, the poorer people in the borough are the worst affected. 

I was under the impression they were suspending the garden waste collection service altogether but I'm happy to accept that I may have got that wrong. There's nothing on Haringey''s website about it which clarifies that particular point. Wherever something is charged for when it was previously free it will affect the poorest the most. Though I know some Councils waive these charges for OAPs/benefits claimants etc.which would be a good idea in my view.

Especially since the Council continues to spend money on propaganda... Haringey People and, in my neck of the woods, a special Tottenham People. These publications do not really serve any useful, pratical purpose other than blowing the Council's trumpet and p^ss^ng us off. They also just ADD to the amount of stuff that goes into the recycling bin!!!

Antoinette, it was on the Haringey website, on the budget proposals page headed 'A clean and safe borough' (oh, the irony!!)

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/local-democracy/policies-and-strategies/...

and see p.2 of the attached doc from that page, which says:

Charging for Garden Waste: Stopping the current free weekly universal green waste collection service and reverting to a weekly opt in charged green waste collection service. The charge would be set at £75 per annum.

There is no mention of the food waste, which is currently collected together with green waste, as Wood Greener has mentioned. I hope that isn't stopping as well. Part of the justification given for introducing fortnightly residual waste (black bin) collections was because they were collecting the stinky food waste weekly. If they go back on this, will they reintroduce weekly bin collections. I doubt it.

K

Attachments:
Thanks for digging that info out. I think it's safe to say weekly bin collections won't be coming back whatever the plans might be for food waste. Speaking personally, I don't think I'll opt in at £75pa. It's seems such a retrograde step for me to put the grass cutting in the bin though.

I've just had an email from Peray Ahmet confirming that there will be no change to the weekly food waste collections, which will continue. So that's something I suppose. She also said:

Your concerns re green waste have been noted and as is the case with all of these proposals we will be monitoring the impacts very closely. There will be a extensive communication campaign to try and mitigate against some of the potential risks, including contamination.

I appreciate the fact that at least she actually responds to emails, I haven't had any response from any of my own councillors in West Green, which is disappointing, but sadly not unusual.

Katie

Well that is some small consolation as you say. So which Councillors are they out of interest that aren't even bothering to answer your emails....name and shame

Over 5mil to collect fly tip trash in Haringey and if the collection is being done by the same veloia company then the economies of small mean they should be making a hefty profit utilising exisiting vehicle and resources. What should be looked into is what makes it cost so much. Given fly tipping must be a fraction of the cost compared to refuse collection from every building. I on paper could buy 20 brand new refuse trucks, 20 full time drivers, 3 full time office staff on very decent salaries, cost of vehicle, insurance, vehicle fuel, premises, vehicles repair and maintenance cost and other expences and I would still be under 2mil in setup cost with 20 trucks constantly on the go every day. The business of fly-tipping collection and disposal is not complex and the process is simple. I would like to see the breakdown of why it cost over 5mil.

Your figures are a bit suspect, Ian. One example - each truck would need at least one driver and one mate, more likely two. You couldn't expect a driver on his own to handle a rain-soaked mattress or a pile of builder's rubble.

Even with a drivers mate at a generous £20,000 per year each x 20 the setup cost would still be below 2mil and that is with generous allocations e.g. truck £50,000. In reality Veolia already has the trucks and people so not setup cost and I am sure they don't have 20 dedicated trucks driving around all day dealing with just fly-tipping. Existing resources are being used or maybe even subcontracted out but at over 5mil as quoted in the letter I am responding to it seems like a lot of profit is being made on fly-tipping clearance. I have no issue with a private company making money/profit only that the buyer (council) should have a clear understanding of the price of butter and look to get a good deal rather than having a single company dealing with everything at a none competitive price.

You don't seem to appreciate that these contracts are the subject of extremely detailed specifications of work and tendering procedures.  It is only a single company that can offer a competitive rate; smaller outfits cannot offer the economies of scale that larger providers can.  That is why they win the contracts in the first place.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service