Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

'NO' to Ending free bulky waste collections and closing the recycling centre

Haringey's current budget proposals will see the end of free bulky and green waste collections and the closure of one of the recycling centres.

These changes are likely to spell real trouble in this borough. It will inevitably lead to a significant increase in dumping with the poorest areas being hardest hit.

Research has shown that introducing a charge can lead to a drop in demand for collections of 50-75% on previous levels. Fly-tipping will increase as a result.

An alternative approach to introducing a collection charge would be to limit or reduce the number of items accepted for free, and/or the number of free collections allowed per year.

An alternative to closing the recycling centre would be to control who uses the centre and make a small charge as appropriate.

The cabinet meets to decide on this issue in two weeks' time. Whilst the consultation is now closed you can still email the cabinet member responsible (peray.ahmet@haringey.gov.uk) and copy your councillor.

Budget proposals: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/local-democracy/policies-and-strategies/...

Survey (CLOSED 22 JAN): http://www.haringey.gov.uk/survey/budget-2017-18

Tags for Forum Posts: rubbish, waste collection, waste collection charges

Views: 6028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"small companies in more examples in general in business are cheaper than larger companies" but not in this specific case which is what we are talking about - this specific contract. Whether the costs are based on fixed or varying costs, all companies tender against the same pricing principles which are laid out in the Council's Tender Specification.  Whatever way you cut it Veolia submitted the cheapest bid and that's why they were awarded the contract.  If you want to understand the Veolia contract better read this http://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/veolia_haringe...

That's just some marketing material. It however looks like the council have outsourced more than just fly-tipping collection as per the specific conversation we are talking about. They have outsourced the entire strategy creation and management for waste management. It looks like a total all in one solution so only bidders that can manage everything from scheduled collection, fly-tipping, strategy creation, eco carbon emissions, iso9001, Has and whatever other standard marks etc etc. can tender which limits applicants other than the biggest players with the biggest cost. Which is why you probably end up with a fly tip removal probably costing £800 a pop. I would still like to know the bottom line figures and yes smaller would still be cheaper even in this example but the thing is, if you structure a request for quotation in a certain way with the highest level of regulatory rules etc then it eliminates smaller competitors that could provide a cheaper service from competing. The transparency of the other tenders and their cost would be interesting to see given that Veolia is supposed to be the cheapest.

According to the link provided by Wood Greener below, the cost of clearing up a single item fly tip is £29.  You can see all the other costs in that link. 

The Council will HAVE to require all those regulatory requirements from anyone it tenders with, and then some.  They have to ensure that everyone they do business with abides by standards - legal, ethical etc.  The same as any big company does. 

I wonder if preparations have already started - my green waste bag wasn't returned to me after the waste was collected this morning. It had my address in great big letters on it, so there's no excuse really. So I'm suspicious....

There have been many previous threads about the mystery that is "disappearing green waste bag syndrome". I've been through at least 4 over the last couple of years. I think it's more likely to be Storm Doris that's to blame.  I came home to find my motorbike cover 25 yards up the road yesterday.

If it had been yesterday, I'm sure that would have been the case, but It's not windy today, so I don't think Doris is to blame. They are going to deliver another one within 10 days (hopefully). Hope nobody pinches it before I can get to it!

I actually bought a couple of cheap electronic tags (cost about £1.50 on EBay) to attach to the bag and my bike cover but to my embarrassment, I'm too blind to read the instructions!  Middle age is so cruel.

Can you send me a link to what you mean, sounds intriguing...

Thanks v much! My new green waste bag was delivered today, impressed by that service from Haringey/Veolia as I only reported it awol on Friday. 

I can't reply to your other question about councillors for some reason, but West Green ones are Eugene Ayisi, Eddie Griffith and Toni Mallett (and there's a list here). I have previously found Toni Mallett quite responsive, but I haven't had any luck with any of them over this issue. 

Katie

Fascinating stuff. If you look at the figures for both Enfield and Haringey, they have jumped significantly in the past few years. In 2012/13 there were 17.8k reports in Enfield and 12.4k in Haringey. But 2015/16 this has shot up to 70.9k and 34k respectively. There are several explanations (the the truth might be one or a combination of them)

- There really has been a huge rise in fly tipping in these two boroughs but not, for some reason, in similar, neighbouring boroughs
- New waste contracts came in after 12/13 and there is some benefit to the contractor in defining these incidents as fly tipping
- There was significant under reporting of flytipping before 13/14
- The definition of a fly tip has changed but only in Enfield and Haringey
- new IT systems have made in easier to report fly tipping

Any thoughts?
Well my own view based purely on my own reporting is that I didn't report anything before I downloaded the Report It app on my phone but in 2017 have submitted in excess of 20 reports. So I believe this is the main reason why the figures have risen so dramatically.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service