Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We had a leaflet from haringey today saying that the decision to reverse the traffic flow had been shelved and instead a no right turn would be put in place, along with penalty cameras.
I think it is a shame that the reverse traffic flow has been halted as I think that would have genuinely helped with our problems on Hewit but I wondered what anyone else thought. There is a chance to respond about this decision to the council.

Views: 2757

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a real shame, direct impact will be on pemberton which runs alongside SH school. Strikes me as madness to create a situation that directly increases traffic running next to a school. How do we object?

I thought the balance fell the other way actually but then I guess it depends which road you live on. I think Hewit residents are pretty fed up taking the brunt of the traffic and felt it should be shared out a bit more.

before anyone gets too worked up about this, remember what is proposed is a trial.

the Council listened to the objectors last time round and decided against a road reversal. in fact I seem to remember a neighbour showing me a leaflet from the beresford road residents' group which objected to the road reversal. in its place they proposed a no right turn.

surely it's at least worth a try out.

I agree Andrew. Let's get a week's worth of traffic counting done on Hewit, Pemberton and Beresford ASAP.

There are already some traffic counts in the public domain which we can make some educated projections from:

On the council web page about the Green Lanes improvements there is still the original consultation report which lists comments received, and on page 13 that has:

"Are East aware of traffic flows for Hewit Road adjacent to the Salisbury pub where we propose a public space? 1800 vehicles per day and 3 Tesco deliveries per day could make for not such a nice place"

I've heard that Hewit Rd did a traffic count but i've not seen the numbers, but i think its a reasonable guess that this 1800 / day figure in that comment is from that count.

There were traffic counts on a lot (but not all) of Ladder roads done in 2003 after the switch to one-way. That gave Beresford 629 per day and Pemberton 724. That was 10 years ago and traffic has since increased by 58% (going by that recent Hewit 1800 count). So the adjusted figures for today for Beresford would now be 980 and Pemberton 1143.

Its said the the vast majority of traffic on Hewit turns right, lets guess 80% so that would be 1440/day, and after the no right turn most of that would move to Beresford and Permberton. So that would result in:

Hewit 360/day. Beresford 1700/day. Pemberton 1863/day.

Do those above calculations seem reasonable and correct?

So Hewit would become the quietest Ladder road and Pemberton become even worse than Hewit is today. Remember Pemberton is where South Harringay Infant and Junior schools are as well as the busy Ladder Children's Centre nursery.

I would have thought they would need to do a risk assessment before introducing any measure that is likely to increase traffic past a school. I've seen a couple close shaves involving kids and traffic on Pemberton Road during the morning drop off, so the last thing they should be doing is adding to this volume of traffic.

Ant. One of my biggest criticism of this scheme has been the lack of quantitative analysis (certainly that has been shared). It is incredulous that decisions are made with no factual numerical basis to assess benefits/impacts, and there must be something that we do not know about. The problem is that if this is not shared, the passive aggressive resistance to sharing means we will need to make a FoI request will see the information potentially coming too late to make any difference. So, your thumb in the air analysis is welcome.

Now. I noticed yesterday that there looks to be one of those counters at the top of Pemberton (the rubber line across the road attached to a box). I am guessing that there is some sort of analysis underway, so there is at least a baseline data set (pre any change). No idea how long it has been there.

Anyone know how to go about seeing any data produced?

It is incredulous that this is happening without any factual data, but it really does appear that is the case. By all accounts it was just the Hewit Rd RA managed to convince the GLSG that it would be better for the new Green Lanes if they did something about the Hewit traffic, and thats the sum of it. That traffic would increase by primary schools, a nursery, and for other residential streets was not a consideration.

The counter at the top of your street is mine not the councils, i'll let you know what it says.

This is the counts for Pemberton today:1351 cars, and a graph showing cars per 15 minutes:

You putting the data up that you collected for Falkland Rd Ant?

The problem with just individual counts is it doesn't really say much, we need a more complete picture to see how they compare. So i was trying to get a complete picture of the northern ladder roads before showing them, but then this Hewit no right turn came up. But ok here is one count for Falkland. A problem is that it was when they were doing the footpaths by here on Green Lanes and storing the materials at the entrance of the street and a big truck blocked the road in the morning which i think is what that dip around 8:15am is, so it could be closer to 1600/day.

How many of these things do you have? We could hook it up to a Raspberry Pi with a 3G dongle and stream it out on the internet. This is how flightradar24.com works.

What were the statistics the GRA had for Warwick Gardens? Incidentally, I'd always thought that the GRA had super powers for getting the gardens gated but I've found out recently that Charles Adje lives in Warwick Gardens and the bollard was put in by his mate Brian Haley. We got new footpaths in Effingham from him so it's OK.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service