Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

New tenants found for Coliseum Shop after Campaign Blocks Bookies

After almost a year, it seems that HoL's campaign to prevent yet another bookie opening on our High street has resulted in a long-lasting success.

Last summer we heard that the lease  for the Coliseum site, at the St Ann’s Road junction, was due to be signed over to Cypriot bookies Tipco. KFH who held the lease but had never occupied the property, had experienced trouble finding a buyer for the lease and were delighted to find takers in Tipco.

I was less pleased and figuring that with KFH's customer facing business they may be amenable to working with the community to find another solution, I suggested to Rob Tao of Harringay Traders that an approach be made to KFH.

Rob picked up the baton and passed things over to the GLA team involved on the Green Lanes regeneration project. As summer progressed and turned to Autumn, all seemed to be going well. GLA supported plans had been hatched to let the shop and use it as a community pop-up space for an interim period. 

Then out of the blue, the Haringey Council licensing team received an application for a licence to operate the premises as a betting shop. 

That's when I launched HoL's campaign to persuade KFH to change their tack and the community made their concerns clear. After a week or so, I got a call from KFH expressing their discomfort at our campaign and suggesting a way may be open.

Once again I passed matters over to Rob and he worked with KFH to try and broker a solution. In the meantime, the residents who live above the premises also got involved.

It seems that KFH listened to community concerns. Credit is due to them for this. 

I'm pleased to be able to announce that a new tenant has now been confirmed. After long negotiations with an ice cream and desert shop, it has been confirmed that solicitors Ersan & Co. have taken a lease on the premises. The firm is currently based near Turnpike Lane.

Whilst I can think of a number of things I'd have preferred to a solicitor in that spot, I'm delighted to have them rather than a bookie and welcome them to the high street.

Tags for Forum Posts: betting, gambling, kfh, kinleigh folkard hayward

Views: 1836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really pleased to hear that we're not having a new betting shop! The ground floor of the Colliseum has always been such a wasted opportunity. In fact, I can't remember it being occupied much in the 10(?) years that the building has been there. I think there was a brief period with Paul Simon was using it for their development team but other than that it's been a bit of a redundant space. Green Lanes is a really successful high street in so many ways - which is impressive given all the news about the death of the high street. I often feel really lucky to live here. The new cafes (like Blend that I think is absolutely amazing - literally my favourite coffee in London) are adding to the diversity of the offer without detracting from the local flavour. Lots of reasons to be cheeful I'd say :)

I sent a personal email to Ian Sygrave congratulating him on the LCSP's efforts. I know he did a lot of work over this too.

The cakes with dolls in are pretty popular for kids birthday parties, my 6 year old loved hers.

Hurray for no betting shops though!  I live near the holy triamvirate of betfred, ladbrooks and metrobet.  Why do they all need to be in close proximity?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service