Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was able to go for my favourite local walk today - along the New River footpath from Green Lanes (opposite the park) to Seven Sisters Road and then on round the two reservoirs to the Castle Climbing Centre. You can then have a cup of tea in the sailing centre inside the old water pumping station. Then you can walk back down through Finsbury Park, or catch the bus home.

Part of the footpath had been closed by building work on Woodberry Down, but they have re-opened it. The East reservoir section is still very rural as it's a bird sanctuary, but the West has been somewhat spoiled by the new housing estate - all pressed gravel paths and unfeasibly green lawns.

Besdie the East reservoir I passed some allotments with beds created out of those enormous square building sacks - does anyone know about these? It looked like some kind of community project.

There are lots of seabirds - cormorants etc - out on the islands, but it's hard to see them because of the trees. Binoculars would help.

It's really a lovely walk, though can be a bit wet underfoot - I didn't take my wellies and regretted it.

One day I will take my camera and post some pictures on HoL.

Tags for Forum Posts: new river, walking, walking map, walking routes

Views: 706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Link is good - but is all the New River walkable - I think there is loads more of the route that is closed off than just through the Ladder.  I'd be very grateful to get advice from someone who has walked it from source right the way through to Islington.

Cheers

Mary, you walk up Green Lanes towards Manor House and take a left onto the New River footpath which you will see as you cross the bridge over the river. Then just keep following the signs - it continues across 7 Sisters Road, then you cross another small road and onto the footpath by the East reservoir, then past the new housing development round the West Reservoir to the Castle Climbing Centre on Green Lanes. Double back to the sailing centre cafe at this point if you want to. Just explore, it's easy to find.

Thanks for that info about that walk. I will try it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service