Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

New pay-by-phone parking in Haringey (but watch the sting in the tail)

Motorists in Haringey can now choose to pay by phone for Pay and Display parking.

To use this new service drivers must first register with PayByPhone, who have been subcontracted to provide the service.

However, when you register take a little care. There's a sting in the tail for the unwary here. The default options leave you liable to pay 10p or 20p in additional charges for each transaction. This covers the cost of a text confirmation and a text reminder telling you when your parking is about to expire. The full 20p is a whopping additional 17% on a low tariff hourly rate of £1.20 and an additional 7% on the £3.00 hourly tariff charged on Harringay's Green Lanes parking.

Some people will no doubt welcome these additional services, but I think they should be opt-in rather than opt out. Unless you're happy to pay for the texts, do make sure you uncheck these options.

I asked Haringey Council whether they were aware of the way their contractor's system worked and if they were happy with it. 

Whilst they chose to make no comment on that, I was glad to see that they have changed their news story on the Council website to include a mild warning:

For an extra 10p charge drivers can also get an alert telling them when their time is running out and their fees need topping up. Those who don't want this service can opt out of receiving this and other extras when they register”

A council spokesperson told Harringay Online, “The format  is standard for PaybyPhone customers and it is used widely across London and the country.”

So, a good new service, but make sure you don’t end up accidentally paying fees you don’t want to pay.

To register go to the PayByPhone website or call 020 3362 1100. 

Tags for Forum Posts: parking

Views: 1040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris,

Sadly, I have not seen any manifesto that has promised any form of overhaul of the service or department which provides it from any of the three main parties. I suspect this is because they generate significant revenue for the council that none of them want to tackle this or put the income in any form of risk.

I do not have "supporters" that I know of, and do not set out to get any; my ego isn't that big! On the occasions that I have helped my friends and neighbours, I have done so for the satisfaction of saving them money that they need not have spent.

I do not stand for election and have no intention to do so at this stage in my life.

Yes, I believe in the political process, but know that it's not always the answer we hope it would be. Given that even our elected councillors have had to spend much of their time asking this department why they behave in the way that they do, to little or no avail in terms of affecting a long term change, I don't really see what you expect anyone else to do about it other than stand up for themselves.

I am a realist about this matter. I certainly do not bellow, but I firmly argue my point when I know it to be the right course of action.

OK Joe but what you are saying is that you, a forthright person of obvious integrity, is a severe critic who seems totally alone in his views on the degree of corruption, who does what he can to shine a light on it but is not prepared to so any more than that

If you were to tell someone from outside the borough what you thought of this particular department, a stranger might say, "how have they been able to get away with it for so long?" Well, how have they, Joe?  Is it that they're doing illegal stuff but  haven't yet been caught, or is it that it's not illegal to do what they do?  If it's not illegal, why should anyone listen when you complain?

I think the issue you avoid is one we all avoid - responsibility for our own Council. They are employed by us to act on our behalf so we don't have to get our hands dirty.

------------

Your sincerely-held beliefs are not that easy to deal with in a constructive way. Sounds to me that you'll never be convinced that this conspiracy against us residents doesn't in fact exist, so what is a fair minded person to do when faced with your strongly-held beliefs?

Some people in groups do seem to be corrupt (bad stuff happens) but we know for sure that most are honest, good people with a lot of integrity who work hard at self-realisation for themselves, their families and often for all of us.

Or do you think it's the Haringey people themselves who work for the council that are in some way complicit in the bad stuff you've witnessed? Don't you see how heartbreaking it must be for some of them who are not paid much and have to face people who appear to loathe them, when they know that these 'grudges' are unfounded?

Or is it the Councillors who have all been elected and mostly re-elected that are the bad apples? If so, why do they get re-elected?  Is it that they have fooled the people time and time again? You get the point.

You won't accept that the system works as well as it can given where we are, that it's a lot of people doing what people in groups do - not all good. As a whole, we're all part of an effort to genuinely try to improve our lives and the lives of all of us, even though it often seems to be two steps forward and one step back.

It's nowhere near perfect and we all need to be on the lookout, but if we do nothing positive, that has to be taken as a signal that we are part of the problem, not part of the solution. 

I say connect your feelings with action through the political process.  Write to your cllr and listen to their response. If, as I suspect, they gently and politely tell you there isn't enough support for your feelings to cause change, have the grace to accept that there is a better, more productive and supportive use of your energy and do that instead.

Chris,

I'm not sure where to start replying to your lengthy post above. It must take a lot of energy for you to write at such length on this matter. I see no benefit in getting into any argument with you, nor with spending time justifying my beliefs or actions to you - as frankly, I do not have to do so to give myself any sense of self validation.

I have my beliefs, opinions, and ways of tackling any issues that I see worthy of spending my time on, as obviously you do too. They may not be the ways you would yourself use, but this adds to the rich tapestry of life.

I shall continue to be critical of council services where I see fit, and you can continue to have whatever opinion of my criticism that you like. If you don't see it as constructive, that's absolutely fine by me.

For the record, I never argue with the front line staff on these matters, but take it up to the highly paid and unelected executives who do make the decisions.

You will not change my mind on this matter, so I politely suggest that you take your own advice put your energy into more productive tasks, rather than spending your time and energy trying to sway my opinion.

OK Joe - if we do ever meet, I hope we can have a friendly chat, maybe over a pint.

C.

But of course :)

Debates over pints are far more fun!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service