Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

See attached for residents and metered parking charges.

Tags for Forum Posts: parking charges, public spending cuts

Views: 618

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The thing I have always found really annoying about this system, and this increase, is that it only of course applies to the few parts of the borough who live in CPZ. Most don't - either because they don't need it or because they successfully prevented Haringey introducing it. Surely it would be more equitable to increase Council Tax (and surely this would raise more money?) than fiddle around at the margins by putting up residents permits in the few areas of Haringey that have CPZ? I don't mind paying to park my car in my road, but these increases do annoy me when someone in N10 with two cars pays absolutely nothing.

Council Tax is frozen by diktat of the Tory govt.

At the neighbourhood forum meeting this week in Tottenham, the starkness of the sums was summarised thus: Of LBH's income, 10% is from Council Tax. 20% from fees - parking, entrance fees etc. 70% from central govt. Half of that 70% is to be cut. So council income drops by a third over next 3 years. That means, unless there is revolution very soon,  1/3 of jobs gone, and services reduced to match.

Expect change - not the coinage type.

@Alan

Yes but it also says

" Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours "

My point really being that, if it is safe to park there and it would not cause an obstruction, then there shouldn't be any double yellow lines.

The Guidance for Blue Badge holders also says they should not park where it “would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users."

And gives clear examples: • school entrances, bus stops, on a bend, or near the brow of a hill or hump bridge • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction; • where it would make the road narrow;  • where it would hold up traffic, such as in narrow stretches of road or blocking vehicle entrances; • where emergency vehicles stop or go in and out, such as hospital entrances; • where the kerb has been lowered or the road raised to help wheelchair users.

But yellow lines are not only used to prevent dangerous parking. They also aim to improve traffic flow. And to phase parking and loading/unloading times.

The DfT guide refers to Responsibilities as well as Rights of disabled people. Both seem crucial to me. A Blue Badge is not a licence to behave selfishly and thoughtlessly.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor. As seen on Flickr and in the streets of Tottenham Hale.)

There was absolutely NO justification from the council to increase parking charges? The consultation meeting was held on a weekday at 3pm when most people were either at work or picking up their children (or on their way to) and I don't remember seeing an alternative to submitting your views to them before that time, even if they did provide such a facility I highly doubt it would have even been read by anyone from the council.

As residents of the borough we want to know where our representatives are spending, if they are unable to provide this information it leads me to believe its lining someone's pocket. They all seemed to be media savy when the elections were going on and now they're no where to be seen.
You may like to email your comments on these new parking charges to the council consultation on this which is running until Feb 4th, details of how to do this are here .
You know... in light of all the other essential services that are being cut/trimmed/slashed, I'm inclined to think paying a few more quid to park is OK.

Another issues Re Parking Zones

I live near a School - where Teachers / Staff are given permits

Accept they have to park

But they park in Residents Bay's - where there are other parking

available -without Effecting those that pay for Permits

As Stated before Disabled Should have to Buy a Permit -

Especially if it takes up resident Bay's

Allowing them unrestricted parking when away from Home

Re Council Cut's - Much needed - as Thanks to Years of Labour Control

The Council has created Jobs that are No longer needed

And can No Longer be afford / paid for

For the Majority of those that Pay their Taxes -

Good Example would be Chief Excectives Department

Please Expain why it needs such a large number of High paid Staff and Running Costs -

The mathematics to do with making up budget shortfalls using executive pay at councils have been thoroughly debunked. If there are no jobs for people then there's either welfare or they starve. Completely pointless jobs I do disagree with but if you can find me even one at the council I'd be surprised.

Last year my wife got a ticket for parking in a residents bay at SHJS. She had been given a pass by the school because she was helping in one of the classrooms. Are you saying that at the school near you the parking inspectors are slacking? Shocking!

The Tory government obsession with executive pay and quangos is because as employers themselves they have been competing with the public sector for these employees.
John, you could at least have credited Bob for his free verse sonnet. How did the T S Eliot Prize crowd miss him out last week?

There once was a clever young teacher

Who drove where the wardens can't reach 'er.

She thought it a spoof

To park on the roof.

"Come down!" said the Head, "I beseech ya."

Sorry Bob - the T S Eliot gong goes to Alan on content, humour and metrics.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service