Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just wondering whether anyone has noticed these new flights over Tottenham - I am east of Downhills Park and they are since the beginning of July at least a very regular feature. We never had such flights before (only the occasional helicopters).
The flights are extremely low (one can clearly distringuish the different parts of the plane) creating a daily noise disturbance over my property and no doubt over many others in Tottenham. They start very early in the morning (around 5am if not earlier) and can carry on late at night too, sometimes within seconds of each other, sometimes a few minutes apart.  Initially I thought these were some sorts of flight exercise but they have been on-going now for over 4 months. They fly on a diagonal over my road (Kitchener Road) from Wood Green going towards Hackney, pass Downhills Park or Lordship Lane. This is causing me some distress as the noise is constant. 
Does anyone have an idea of where the flights are coming from? going to?  I would like to lodge an official complaint to the airport authorities.
Do you know of any other actions that we can do to get this stopping?
thank you in advance,
sophiag_c

Tags for Forum Posts: aircraft noise, flight paths

Views: 1959

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I checked that too but it did not show... A friend told me he read in the paper 'they' were testing new routes and awaiting people's reactions. So may be it is not registered yet on flightradar? I have no idea. I have written to my local MP too to find out. 

I read in the about section of FlightRadar website that many types of aircraft are NOT trackable, ie: the only flights shown on FlightRadar are modern planes which are fitted with the ADS-B tracking equiptment, ie: brand new jets and airbus etc.   Any plane that is of an older generation is not detectable on the website, so i'm guessing there are loads more planes in the air above us which aren't trackable on that website-  If you are very disturbed by it, you've done the right thing to talk to your MP.  I personally don't mind it.

thank you for this information, I just feel it is so bizarre for these planes to fly so low when there is no airport 'so close'. I will let people know if I get more information from my MP. 

Commercial aircraft are limited to flying 6.00am - 10.00pm

so there is something else, I have been up earlier than 6.00 and heard the flights too. Will double-check that next time.

so here is the interesting thing, I was awake every 2 hours last night (through fighting off a cold!) and heard flights at the following hours:23h50, 02.10am, 4.00am and then after 6.00 several flights. The one at 2.10am was going towards the Ladder.

Wow i've just spent about 30 minutes watching planes on that website flight radar! I was so excited to see the Airbus A380 fly by right on schedule! 

As for Sophia's issue, i have lived very close to where you describe, for 2 years and i've always noticed loud airplanes go over, especially very loud rumbly ones that stand out as being much louder than the rest... but it's never bothered me, i quite like spotting them and am quite excited by seeing them go over.  - So from my observant point of view, the air traffic is the same as it always was (at least for the last 2 years) .

PS: i've noticed that different weather conditions produce different levels of airplane noise and rumbliness - Maybe the clear skies during our lovely hot summer made for clearer and louder sounding airplanes which caught you attention? Or maybe just blame those whopping great A380's !!!?

I find the fact funny that aircraft flying over someone's home is a problem. Really, have you been to Kew and listened to them screeching over at 250m as they approach finals at Heathrow?

We have a lot of flights coming out of the stack over Essex  over the ladder, and yes they are loud at times, especially in the early morning as they drop their flaps to kill speed, but the reality is they have to go somewhere. And who among us has never flown in a plane before thereby contributing to the 'problem'? (By the way, when I say they go over the ladder they go directly over my house!)

To Justin, yes I have been near Kew and in Richmond and that would have been a reason why I would not live there in the first place. 

The flights I am referring to are flying very low compared to many more flights I have seen flying over the area and heard since I have moved here about 13 years ago, including the noise referred to by byI999, so it is definitely something new.

I am not against flights but there should be a limit as to how low they get and if they are not already on an established route, people should have the right to have a say about it. However one looks at it, if you get a flight every few minutes over your head as opposed to none before, it is a big nuisance.

I think it's BA that fly a service low (and yes it's very low), prop planes, coming from direction of Tottenham, over the ladder and towards central London. Not a normal route compared to the other planes either. Assumed a mail plane, maybe going to City airport. Not sure of frequency but maybe once a day, midday-ish. Maybe that's what you have become aware of. 

Was down at Battersea Park other week and found the frequency, low level & noise(!) of the planes annoying. Can see why Boris wants it all moved east. Location of Heathrow is crazy, should not be inside the M25 for one thing.

Thanks matt, It's more frequent than once a day, sometimes it is every few minutes but it is true that it is not all the time, only at certain times of the day and evening (although it's been quite a lot of the time just today from very early this morning) and also not necessarily every day of the week at the same frequency.  I agree with you about location of airports and flights routes... 

Sophia, I have noticed an increase and was wondering the same thing. Please report back if you find anything out.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service