Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

New brand identity strategy for Haringey

"I am in"

Discuss.

CDC
Haringey Councillor
Liberal Democrat Party

---

update to mark the 'soft launch' (click to enlarge):—

The £20,000 film, The Haringey Story

Tags for Forum Posts: I am in, Local Government, brand strategy, folly, identity, nonsense, vanity, waste of money

Views: 9383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Orgy of self importance - well said, that man! I may have to recycle the expression. In the meantime, I should get back to my vital work wrapping chipolatas in bacon....

Stephen speaks for us all -" nobody " " most "

Unfortunately, he has no idea what people are actually  thinking.

Just as much as you do young man..  so what's your point..?

It's his opinion and he's entitled to it

As am I

I don't understand what Stephen means by his comment about not being concerned about the past or now. Over the years I've found many of his own comments about the past thoughtful and interesting. Also some of Stephen's observations about "now" in Berlin and elsewhere in Germany.
Some things I've passed on to other people. The street gardening for instance. Also the style and humour of the ads for Berlin's street cleaners which Stephen highlighted.
I've never met Stephen, but he's seen some of my writing here and on Flickr. Like anyone else who now or in the past finds what I post to be "pointless", or who simply dislikes my stuff, well they don't have to read it, do they?
About Clive Carter, to be completely frank, in the past I sometimes found his comments on HoL irritating. But since he was elected as a councillor in May 2014, I think Clive has been working hard to learn the job, to listen to different viewpoints, and trying to do it well.

My point is Alan, I don't see any solutions coming out of these continual rants. If they were used positively to suggest ways of changing, I think they would be justified and I've indicated that previously. But that doesn't happen.

Little remarks that Clive writes are seriously irritating, like 'Someone was heard commenting' - still to be seen in the Finsbury Park rant. That's really John D level.

I guess maybe I should have phrased what I wrote differently. What I meant was, and you, as a long standing politician will know, that when you stand on the hustings, all the punters really want to hear, are solutions to problems and the hope of a better future. They don't want politicians continually trying to collect brownie points, excuse the pun, by dragging everything and everyone through the mire.

I always admired your work in Tottenham and would give you my vote any day. But I must say that I am just a little surprised at this neo-Hitler Stalin pact, between yourself and Clive. My enemies' enemy is my friend? Come on, you're better than that.

Stephen, the "solution" to doing something stupid and wasteful is to stop doing it. And instead to spend the time, effort and money on something useful and needed instead.

And if you can't persuade or block the wrong-headed chumps who are frittering away public money, then try at least to expose and critique their stupidity and wastefulness. So more people know about it and also help make them accountable for their actions. Part of that is digging out the details of the money poured down the drain.  Clive has helped to do that.

The logo/rebranding is only one example.

There's no "pact". Clive opposes the increasing commercial takeover of public parks. Specifically he points out the risks of relying on commercial rents to maintain our parks. I agree with that.

He's also concerned about events which fence off large parts of Finsbury Park, with Haringey Council permitting a stall to encourage tobacco sales.  Is he wrong?

Below is Haringey's Chief Executive Nick Walkley's defence of the logo/rebranding. In my view it's desperately sad that we're wasting money and time with this empty drivel. (Left-click twice to enlarge.) 

Hmmm..  Well maybe you should become Clive's PR man.. because he darn well needs one.

.. and BTW Alan, the 'good old days of 2011' - Happy holidays!

https://flic.kr/p/aCARQr

My apologies that my last post "disappeared". As this has occasionally happened to other people as well as me, here's my guess about what caused this to happen - and which you may wish to avoid.

posted a comment and rereading it a little later, I saw it needed some tweaking/clarification.  But as the fifteen minutes for editing had run out, I deleted it and reposted an edited version at the end of the thread.  This vanished.

Thanks to Hugh for retrieving it.

THE Tottenham & Wood Green Independent notes the omission of any reference in the Council Leader's Christmas message, to the logo or identity rebranding. It seems that any defence of this controversial big spend, will be left to others.

The article touches on possibly the larger Council dubious spend that is Chicken Town. It's said to be favoured by Hipsters, if not many others. Tottenham Labour Councillor Sheila Peacock is quoted as saying that, 

I can’t see them making any money, there is a real concern that it will fail. If they want to make a go of it they should open it all day.

I believe that on this, Cllr. Peacock may be right. Unless this project is financially successful, the Council will not be repaid our £210,000 loan (i.e. beyond the £90,000 grant). At present, this taxpayer-funded licensed restaurant has limited opening hours and looks like the urban equivalent of a hobby-farm.

The Leader described the restaurant as a "trailblazing social business".

It's certainly burning something but I worry where the trail will end up.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service