Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi Everyone

Here is a photo showing the new bicycle racks that are starting to be installed as part of the Green Lanes project. The contractor is currently installing the racks in the side roads followed by Green Lanes after Christmas.

Views: 3832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have answered the question John . There are a mixture of views on here and some are around functionality and some are aesthetic. After the installation is complete they will be checked again for snagging if their are technical issues this will again be picked up. That will be undertaken with local cycling campaigners.

Have a great day

You have not answered the question.

It is irrelevant whether the objections are about aesthetics or functionality.

You participated in approving the design.

Almost everybody who has posted on here thinks the design is not fit for purpose.

The question, which you keep avoiding is :-

What are you, as our representative on the Council going to do about it ? 

Possible answers, to make things easy for you, are :-)

Nothing

Nothing, it was a bad decision but you're stuck with it

I will speak to the Council to make them aware of the serious concerns expressed here

I will suggest to the Council that they get the suppliers to paint black and yellow stripes on the stands to make them more visible

I will suggest to the Council that the stands be re-positioned at a 45 deg angle to minimise inconvenience to pedestrians

There , that wasn't so hard was it ?

"After the installation is complete they will be checked again for snagging if their are technical issues this will again be picked up. That will be undertaken with local cycling campaigners."

Have a great day
The point is why didn't you just get proper ones in the first place? Then you wouldn't have to change them every 6 months.
As I explained Lauren the previous Cllrs and officers assured us that the ones originally picked were not the ones installed. So yes "proper" ones were picked but we got what appear to have been something way below standard. I cannot answer for what went on before May 2014 but I have no reason to believe that it's untrue as the contractor would not have forked out their own money to replace if they had any case to say that those were the ones chosen.
Afraid I agree that these don't seem much of an improvement, though I can see that they are a bit sturdier and have had the sharp edges pared off.

My take on it is that the original fault lies with someone deciding against getting off the shelf options and getting something specifically made - I'm guessing that is why we have these new versions (presumably from the same manufacturer as the originals) rather that the standard Belfast models or the ones they have in Wood Green (both of which are perfectly fine in my experience).

The colour is a massive issue though - on a wet and grey day it's pretty easy to miss these.

We went on a family outing to the panto in Bromley and in the shopping centre they too had the thin, grey, square stands originally installed along Green Lanes. I was told it's because a couple of streets in the Centre were regenerated from the Outer London Boris money.  Maybe they used the same job-lot from the same suppliers?

Though LB Sutton also had this Outer London cash and spent some of it on a scheme called "Heart of Hackbridge".  But with more traditional cycle stands. It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma inside a steel tube.

A local website in Sutton reported that this Renovation Project was "putting residents' lives in danger". Opinions of the new scheme differed. One resident called it: "a nightmare junction".   A trader agreed it was a nightmare but for a different reason - his takings had fallen because of a loss of parking spaces.  Another resident said that now when crossing the road: “You take your life in your hands every time, even if you have a baby".  This is because the Council had taken away zebra crossings. 

Please memorise these essential facts.  Lix Ixer assures me that it's almost certain there'll be a question about Hackbridge in the very next pub quiz you attend.

Liz :)

What is wrong with the shiny stainless steel ones provided elsewhere? No sharp edges, easy to see and easy to lock multiple bikes too.  

John/Lauren, I'm happy to see Emina taking the time to post online and tell us what is going on. She's also taking the time to listen to feedback and answer questions. Perhaps we ought not to be too strident in response.

Strident?

No.

Perfectly reasonable questions, asked in a perfectly reasonable manner.

Perhaps you are reading something into it that is not there?

Perhaps, but perhaps I'm not the only one and I'd like to encourage our councillors to keep engaging online. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service