Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Network Rail have formally announced on their website that Wightman Road bridge will reopen on Monday 5th September:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/wightman-road-bridge-r...

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's perfectly legitimate to want to do something about the traffic levels and the hideous amount of pollution we all have to live with.  Ken Livingstone did this thing called the Congestion Charge to discourage people from driving in Central London in order to improve the air quality (amongst other things I'm sure, like raising money).  Just because we live in a city doesn't mean we have to put up with having air quality that's the equivalent of a 10 cigarettes a day, kids with terrible asthma, dirt everywhere etc.  You could use the same argument about the filth on the streets, that we live in a City so should put up with the stench of rotting rubbish and streets sticky with drying vomit and dog shit.  But we all want to do something about it. 

Also, we aren't central, we're zone 3.  We're 5 miles away from Central London.  Central compared with outside the North Circ maybe but this is inner suburbia. 

I propose an Outer London Congestion Charge - starting at the N/S Circular Roads, at a reduced amount, say £5.

The Inner London Congestion Charge really works!

Yep. I'd also like to see a long term plan to reduce HGVs inside the N/S circulars to a bare minimum. Like some serious inner London rail freight capacity and smaller electric 'final mile' delivery vehicles.

Totally agree with this. I think it only fair that all the roads on the ladder should have weight restrictions. Feeling your house shake is not the best..

All the Ladder roads have had 7.5 tonne weight limits for years and years. Have a look at the signs.....

The signs keep being mysteriously removed. The one at Willoughby Rd on Green Lanes never lasts very long.

Speaking personally an outer London congestion charge wouldn't reduce my own car usage at all because I already don't drive Mon-Fri 7.00am to 6pm. But it might make my bus journey to work quicker. I think you should remember though that the West London extension to the congestion charge zone was challenged in court and done away with because it was found to have not reduced congestion at all.
London pollution is definitely an issue that needs tackling as a whole. My issue is that i think it is selfish to discuss wanting to close Wightman Road to traffic to stop pollution on your doorstep but not care about all the other areas that will be effected by this small minded view. Pollution is a wide spread problem and closing roads in a "well I'm fine" approach is not appropriate. Some people need to drive and I think the positive moves towards electric vehicles is the way to go - not the constant additional charges where only the fat cats actually benefit.

I cannot imagine anyone 'not caring' about other areas.

Throughout the summer we have discussed traffic reduction on Green Lanes, rat running through Haringey as a whole, having a herts-city cycle way, outer London congestion charge, electric vehicles, investment in public transport etc etc.

According to the statistics posted on another thread the stats show that a 90% drop in traffic (my guesstimate figure) has only seen a 26% reduction in pollution in my road (from 30 to 22). So traffic can't be the only source of the pollution.
Countless other roads exist to create your pollution
You can't close them all

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service