Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Network Rail have formally announced on their website that Wightman Road bridge will reopen on Monday 5th September:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/wightman-road-bridge-r...

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't agree more. It would be nice if they could find a way to reduce Wightman Road to more local traffic rather than have it full of commuter traffic.

Getting rid of parking on Green Lanes I would expect would make a large difference to through traffic also.

This could be done using a maze effect.
2 or 3 blocks along Wightman would dissuade rat runners from going up and down ladder roads up to 6 times!
A minor inconveniece for the 15,000 ladder residents.
You do you realise that Wightman Road in as far as history is relevant to this conversation, has never been a residential street and in fact is a major B Road, the ladders which are in fact classed as residential streets do have traffic calming measures, measures which are actually quite successful. Having houses and a few parked on trees doesn't reclassify a road, houses and trees line the A406 and parts of the M25! And since when did zone 2/3 become outter London?

Historically, as far as it's relevant to this conversation, the villages of what is now Haringey would never have been considered part of London, they were a day's walk away over fields.  In the 1960s there was a London Government Act which created boroughs out of the old County of London.  This extends as far north as the borders of Camden and Islington.  Haringey is outside of that boundary.  Before it became Haringey (at that same time) it was part of Middlesex.  I would argue that history tells us that somewhere that was formerly Middlesex cannot really be considered Inner London.  Zone 2 isn't outer where it falls inside the definition of Inner London, obviously.  You'll note that zone 3 starts at Manor House, which is at the edge of Islington/Hackney, which are Inner. 

"I would argue that history tells us that somewhere that was formerly Middlesex cannot really be considered Inner London".

That definition would exclude Paddington, Kensington, Islington, Hackney et al from being considered Inner.
Ok, flawed argument but Haringey still isn't Inner. Unless you consider places like Streatham to be Inner.
It's a bit more nuanced nowadays- Haringey and Newham are considered 'Inner' for Housing by the government, and Greenwich becomes 'Outer'.

I believe that they are also considered as Inner for Education.

Streatham is in LB Lambeth, so Inner.
A day's walk away?!!! Goodness, people must have walked really slowly in those days, because I frequently walk from central London back to Harringay after work and I think the longest it's ever taken me was three hours, and that was with a stop at Lidl.
Yeah, they did. My great great grandfather lived in Southwark in the 1850s and regularly used to walk out to the village of Camden (or somewhere that is now Camden Town) which was a day's trip. Probably round trip I suppose but London was the City of and Westminster in those days.

"Haringey would never have been considered part of London, they were a day's walk away over fields. "

It's less than a two hours walk to central London. 

People lived on Wightman Road long before roads were classified a A or B as from the 1920s

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service