Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This one will be on Conningsby - again a 'traditional' style.

Full application here.

Tags for Forum Posts: infill building

Views: 668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a parallel application with two floors - so either this is part of the bargaining with the planning dept, or they're not sure how much money they have.

IIRC there's already some digging going on on that site, in anticipation.

Perhaps it's the same application, the applicant describes it as a 'two storey house with basement'. Given that the basement has windows/French windows front, side and back that's a three storey house in all but name? Perhaps done that way to preserve the lights and sightlines from the back of the adjoining houses that front onto Endymion Road?

An alternative approach to infill has been taken at the next road down: there is a basement-level single-storey modern structure, the first building on Tancred Rd from the Endymion end - it's almost completely hidden from view by a high wall, thus minimising aesthetic assessment.

Perhaps the Coliseum replacement at St Ann's Road could be similarly hidden behind a 'green screen' as part of the Green Lanes makeover - it was assessed a couple of years ago as a candidate for the ugliest building in Harringay, so the residents of the flats above the retail ground floor may have a view on that?

Just a note on the Tancred property. The height of the wall in the planning application was 1.7 It ended up just over 2m which visually makes a difference and one wonders what the purpose of planning approval is. The roof was not supposed to be visible above the proposed 1.7m wall. Thus in the case of the Coningsby approval, although we think the proposal is ghastly and absurd we fear the end result would likely be worse.

Planning permission was granted on Monday for a two floor mini-me moreorless as illustrated. There were 42 objections though the case officers report only lists 6. The building line is being brought forward and all the horizontal lines are out of sync. Planning have disregarded virtually all objections and allowed the (sic) developer a further three years to start. This has been going on since 1985 and by knocking down and not repairing part of the wall the developer has visually blighted our lives. This tiny infill is not an answer to London's housing problems. Local residents want this site to revert to garden use which is was for 100 years. Planning enforcement have seemingly done nothing at all with regard to enforcement actions to tidy up the site and the frontage.

I know it sounds absurd for such a tiny plot but we are considering forcing the council to a judicial review as we have some evidence that the process was unlawful. At bottom what really pisses off local residents is that local residents are virtually invisible in law to Planning and they appear not to give a proverbial as to our own views. Very much need advice as to what to do about this. The local labour councillor has been absolutely no help - they only come around pre-election time. The Lib Dems are active and have done what they can by way of help and advice but Planning are a law unto themselves - largely to the benefit of developers in this instance with no regard to housing stock. Much as we hate this parody of design and tooth jutting frontage we absolutely cannot understand why such a negligent and neglectful developer, who sat on the site for years and filled it with rubbish and junk at a time when finance was easy to come to, is allowed a further three years with very lax conditions that Planning will probably never enforce as all the staff will have moved on. So please if anyone out there has an idea as to what we can do to get planning to operate and interpret the law to the benefit of residents rather than small time developers and chancers please give us some ideas.

This is pre-election time. Your councillors should be queueing up to help you, unless they have already been co-opted by the developer.

All the obvious links on the LBH and govt planning portals refer to appealing against plans that have been refused as far as i can see.  But of course you can appeal against the successful verdict, I just can't find the info.  That's what we did with the Grainger plan, I'll ask what the first moves were.  But we're now stuck with the wretched Tory law that they should be minded to approve applications these days. 

It does seem odd that the decision notice only refers to six objections, when there are 42 listed (maybe some approve?) so I'd start with that. As the objections were correctly about planning issues, they should be addressed in the minutes, and they are not.

As a third party I gather we residents can only appeal the process which we are consulting on and looking at. Any further thoughts you come up with equally welcome.

As a long shot - get the land listed as an Asset of Community Value ie as a community garden.

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/housing_and_planning/planning-main...

Then if the developer goes to sell - not impossible given the now enhanced value of the plot - you can bid for it.  The process will also make him justify his plans.

Ta. Will have a look.

Further to previous. This is the site "tidied up" - a view we've enjoyed waking up to for more than ten years. Surely not a direct result of an overburdened planning authority? Richard Nixon and used car salesmen comes to mind...

Attachments:

I know the site, I have plant-watering duties in one of the flats overlooking it.  Squalid.

Surprised both Cllrs Schmitz and Alexander have not been helpful as they are generally seen as proper active councillors who earn their keep. David Schmitz knows his planning law and has been very much onside here around the Grainger plan - admittedly a different scale problem from yours.

Pamish, please read what I said again. David Schmitz has given plenty of advice and time to this over the past year and is still making himself available - but Planning seem largely not to be answerable to elected officials. The last Head of Planning I dealt with - Ransford Stewart was, after a mountain of pushing, helpful and conscientious and David Schmitz helped on that. My vote is normally Labour or a spoiled ballot but for this ward the lib dems are the only ones who deserve any vote.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service