Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Licensing Committee has granted permission for a premises licence for Betfred (next to the Post Office). One slender hope remains in the form of a possible refusal from the Planning Inspectorate for planning permission, whose decision is still awaited, but with the licence now granted, the scales are tipped further against us.

What all this means, which of course we already knew, is that it is impossible to prevent an unlimited number of betting shops opening in our community.

Tags for Forum Posts: 513 Green Lanes, betting shops, gambling, green lanes

Views: 1197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And would be very good if a lot of women went in there cus even in this day and age, betting shops are more likely to b full of men. Women going in and pretending not to know what to do and creating a fuss would be good....
Let's do it! I'm in. Who else?
We have been here before Anette. I'm in too, but I reckon we'll get no more than ten people and that will just not work. We need at least 50 punters.
so what's stopping us getting more people? We're all so good at complaining in writing but rubbish at action. Action is what we need, all else has failed. Is this site all talk and no trousers?
some times i feel it is. As I said I'm up for it. Im living in kingston at the moment but will be back in september annd would happily meet up in the interim so help organise any action. BIt ther is no point in doing anything unles we have at the very least 50 people signed up otherwise we will not fill out the place.
I'll go in if its a day and time I am available. I am not always around and free.
Hugh, do you know the date of the opening? When you do, can you please post here? Then we can get a little more organised.
I don't. I imagine a chat with the workmen might yield some info. So, if a woman were to work her wiles........
I see a flaw in this plan now that the place is open. I think they would pay for people to go in and bet as there never seems to be anybody in there.
Sorry if I'm intruding on this very worthwhile discussion but has anyone set up a specific campaign against betting shops in the area? A lot of people are obviiously and quite rightly very concerned about it, perhaps we should form a group to coordinate action, whether that be in the form of lobbying or sabotage is somethinng to be decided.
Not sure I have any wiles to work, but if I pass by I may put my nose in and ask when its opening, with a smile.
Wow. This is from the document linked by David Lammy's Assistant:

Whilst the prevalence of gambling in the adult population may have gone down since
1999, the amount of money that has been staked has grown significantly in the past 5
years. Total UK gambling stakes rose from £53billion in 2001-2 to £91 billion in 2005-6.5
The gambling industry is a significant contributor to the UK economy employing over
120,000 people and contributing £1.4 billion to the exchequer each year3; equivalent to
1% of all government revenues.

No wonder they are popping up everywhere!!!!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service