Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Licensing Committee has granted permission for a premises licence for Betfred (next to the Post Office). One slender hope remains in the form of a possible refusal from the Planning Inspectorate for planning permission, whose decision is still awaited, but with the licence now granted, the scales are tipped further against us.

What all this means, which of course we already knew, is that it is impossible to prevent an unlimited number of betting shops opening in our community.

Tags for Forum Posts: 513 Green Lanes, betting shops, gambling, green lanes

Views: 1191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tunbridge Wells, "may I suggest we hold a demonstration on their opening day"

That's not a bad idea, but let's not make it party political & invite all the parties across the spectrum to partake.
Fantastic idea - all shades of political opinion on this site have expressed their real anger over this issue so a cross party show would be a brilliant result.
I do believe that if a demo is going to be arranged, police permission must be sought because of potential blockages to traffic etc., health and safely etc. so more bureaucracy to ensue. Not sure about the legality of loads of people just turning up and if prominent politicians are invited and agree to come, then there will be the need for police presence, protection for them, anti terror squad and road diversions etc etc. Sorry to put a downer on it. Nothing is that easy. Apart from opening a betting shop that is...
FINALLY! What's there to stop us getting a permission to hold a demo? Nothing! Let's do it!
I'm not sure turning up mob handed outside a betting shop armed with missiles and hand weapons is a good idea, at least we should not use petrol bombs or catapults. I'm against extreme violence to make a political point.
All the shops that had their windows smashed in the poll-tax riots are still in business :-)
Fully agree with the whole cross party ethos. the reason behind getting DL involved was primarily down to speeding up the process and having some ministerial weight behind blocking roads, pavements etc.

Now who's in? I bet we don't get more than 10 people to sign up. Prove me wrong HOL.
I cant say I'm in or out because we dont have a date for the grand opening yet, do we? Plus there is the chance that without permission to hold a demonstration, you could get arrested for public order offence or such like. Any lawyers out there who know if we can just show up to protest?
I cant say I'm in or out because we dont have a date for the grand opening yet, do we? Plus there is the chance that without permission to hold a demonstration, you could get arrested for public order offence or such like. Any lawyers out there who know if we can just show up to protest?
Ruth, you are absolutely correct, any unauthorised demonstration would invite the attention of the 'boys in blue', justifiably so IMO, and I doubt they'd be very impressed, we don't want anybody being carted off to the cells, do we?

Yes, it would take some organising, and dealing with bureaucracy, but that need not be a deterrent IMO. I expect they would suggest limiting numbers because of the cramped street space, whereas to hold a march, would necessitate getting large numbers out to create an impression and lots of costs, closing the street for one, and marshals.

A successful demonstration is really one that gets the maximum publicity - so numbers don't have to be massive, just dedicated, armed with banners, literature, flyers, petitions etc to explain the cause, and to give plenty of advance warning to media outlets.

James, did anyone mention a desire to promote mayhem, and a public nuisance? I don't think so.

The recent march protesting the closure of the A&E, and other services at the Whittington, passed off without incident, and 5,000 people turned up for that. A member of HM's constabulary told me he'd had a very pleasant afternoon. The organisers, DWHC had people who stayed behind to clear up all the banners & litter outside the hospital after the rally. I guess you weren't there to see it.

As I said earlier, I think this is a good idea, and is worth investigating. What we need now is commitment to get organised, so who's up for it, who's got some time?
Agree Peter. Gone about the right way, such a demo could attract a lot of coverage in the wider media because it deals with issues that are a national problem, certainly at least in other areas of London. Green Lanes is only the most obvious manifestation because we live near it.

James, what kind of impact on public opinion are you seeking? Your tacit support for violence, provided its not extreme violence and weaponry short of petrol bombs and catapaults, if acted upon, would be the best present that the gambling industry could wish for, were a demo to be held. It would help undermine opposition to saturation gambling. It the kind of thing that a devious opponent might not only welcome privately, but covertly organise.
Thanks Clive, we have had support & national publicity in the past, regarding saturation by bookies in Green Lanes.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service