Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

IT WILL come as no surprise to anyone, that details of the current operations of M15 are not publicly available.

"Not publicly available" ...

was the official and remarkable description of the status of Minutes of the Finsbury Park Stakeholder group, a body that early in the year, was claimed would ensure that residents have a voice on the future of events in our park [q.v.]

I made a further Member's enquiry on 31 July; Councillor enquiries are supposed to provide a quicker response than a regular FoI request. Following a delay of one month – that included discussion with the Chief Executive of Haringey Council – I managed to extract copies of the formerly top-secret Minutes (attached).

I hope that in future we can avoid the nonsense of restricting public access to this group, that may yet benefit from more scrutiny and transparency.

Clive Carter
Haringey Councillor

Liberal Democrat Party

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park stakeholder group

Views: 2029

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris I mention secrecy because this particular discussion thread is about secret minutes. Read the top of the page.

I've never said that secrecy as the default position, is the "definitive" issue of the Kober regime.  But it is a symptom of a diseased regime that the endemic secrecy of bureaucracies meets little or no resistance from Our Dear Leader and her pals.

Do you really think that the Leader of a Council can't practice, model and insist on openness and transparency? (Subject of course to legal constraints: mainly personal data, commercial confidentiality and the libel laws.) So why doesn't Claire Kober do it?

Nice drawing by Meek. It's in the National Gallery of Australia. 

But you don't really want change, do you, Chris? You want assurance that you didn't vote for a Tory-led Council; and that everything wrong is the Chief Executive's fault. Not the Dear Leader's responsibility.

Chris Setz, I am amazed that you should dare display such ignorance on HOL, and in discussion with Alan Stanton to boot!

While Dryden arraigned the Pun as "the lowest and most grovelling kind of wit," and later opined:

"Great wits are sure to madness near allied / And thin partitions do their bounds divide", he has still to respond to mine own immortal lines:

"They say the Pun's the lowest form of Wit, / But they are those who are no good at it."

But I digress. If your memory of Wildean quotes misled you above, what Oscar said was: "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence!"  Commenters on this and other fora tend to forget that second half. Indeed, too frequently as you have demonstrated, they confuse Satire and Irony with Sarcasm. Incredible!

Would, indeed, that we were all Satirists on HOL. But to even think that Satire might be the lowest form of Wit, that is the Unforgiveable Sin.

Alas OAE old man Cowper would counter 

"Yet what can satire, whether grave or gay?.../What vice has it subdued? whose heart reclaimed/By rigour, or whom laughed into reform?/Alas! Leviathan is not so tamed."

Ah, Liz, poor Cowper alas! Living proof (well he was then) of Dryden's "Great wits are near to madness near allied." He wandered through those thin partitions more than once.

The issue is Finsbury Park as per the title of the thread. On the 7.5 sign I have as I have repeatedly informed on other threads raised it via email and verbal. The fact that it's not been replaced is absolutely not good enough and I will raise it again for the third time.

Thank you.

John, I understand that last night (Wednesday night) there was a private meeting of the stakeholder group.

I can only hope that a bare minimum, its deliberations about Finsbury Park will be made available as a matter of course.

The past suppression of information about our public park needs to end, permanently.

Impossible, Clive! Not after Cllr Claire Kober penned a paean to empowerment  and localism in that universally admired website Labour List.

Haven't yet read this prose-poem? You won't be able to hold back your tears.

In it the Dear Leader confides her joy at "... being: "able to lead and shape a borough and city that works for all, enabling our local communities by harnessing talent and opportunity, and by giving others the tools to make a difference where they live". 

Dabbing my eyes, I went on to read her: " commitment to empowering communities". Which, she explains: "is under-pinned by our values, priorities and aspirations".

If as you suspect there has been a temporary blip in openness and transparency in the Finsbury Park Stakeholder Group, then I urge you to seek an urgent audience with the Dear Leader, Haringey-Matushka.  Sharing the underpinnings of all Haringey residents Cllr Kober will soon set this straight.

commitment to empowering communities

Hmmm. I prefer testable propositions. (e.g. the cat is black).

The careful formulation of hypotheses is the foundation of scientific enquiry. A proposition that is subject to empirical observation is proven either to hold water, or not, as the case may be.

Such propositions have content and meaning.

In the larger multiverse Schrödinger's Finsbury Park Stakeholder Group both did and did not have a secret meeting. But once we all know about the secret meetings the possibility of such a meeting appears to collapse into having non-secret meetings.

Now if the secret meeting was a missing cat - as we all know - many members of HoL would be keeping an eye out for it. Has the meeting slipped into another park? Were there refreshments at the meeting and if so, who is feeding it?  Had it been chipped?  Roger Mason wants to see the maths.

Did one of the Harringay councillors attend this meeting? I mean, the park is in their ward. I appreciate that they don't go to the St Ann's meetings because that's in the ward next door but...

Hi John - Yes I did attend the meeting yesterday evening.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service