Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Marcus Garvey Library isn't likely to re-open in February 2016 as promised by Haringey Council

In August 2015 the Marcus Garvey Library, in Tottenham, was closed by Haringey Council for building work that also involves installing a customer service centre in the upstairs space. At the time, the closure was scheduled to last for six months until February 2016.

Now, I have received an update from Councillor Jason Arthur that the library (and the customer centre) re-opening isn't likely to be happening on the planned date of 29th February. The reason for the delay are that the construction work has encountered a number of structural issues.

Councillor Arthur added that an update about the continued closure of the library and the new date for its re-opening will be released soon.

Tags for Forum Posts: haringey council, jason arthur, marcus garvey library

Views: 315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr Ball's post is more than confirmed by my own information.

Building work will not be completed until mid-April.

There will then be hand-over to the Council, a period of about a fortnight.

Therefore the former Marcus Garvey library may re-open in early May.

Building use will then be dominated by the Customer Service Centre (displaced from Apex House); the residual library function will dominated by rows of PCs. It is understood there will be some books, especially around the walls of the ground floor.

Tottenham's library will then have been closed for eight months.

CDC
Council Opposition spokesman on Libraries

Disclosure:
I am an active member of the Friends of Marcus Garvey Library

Libraries do need to reinvent themselves now. I have the entire Wikipedia on my phone as an app and it takes up 8GB.

Stay inside. Read your phone. Thanks for the advice. (Après James Walsh)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service