Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Change of use from steel yard (at the Railway Approach on Hampden Rd) to residential and construction of a new building to create 80 new private and affordable apartments and two commercial units.

More details here.

Comments accepted until June.

It will be a very busy part of Harringay what with the railway yard, the mosque and this proposed 80 apartment development.

Tags for Forum Posts: hampden road, hampden road development

Views: 4128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A rooftop helipad would be great for those who disdain our trains.

A 'decent' development would be wonderful wouldn't it Alex. Maybe Haringey could get rid of that Jewsons, meat packing plant and concrete mixing site as well, on the other side of the tracks, Crouch End/Hornsey side and build housing there too.

When I complained to Haringey about the state of the top end of Hampden Road up to the station I was told that it was a private road, the responsibility of the railway.  So assuming it is the railway company permitting access I wonder if they get paid to allow access and if so should that money not be used to improve the road, cleaning and access to the station.  Houses or developments along the lines of Denmark Road makes sense not more high density housing.  Next will be the other buildings and community centre.

I think overall this is a welcome change to the location, as some have commented its smaller than than the tower not so many years ago knocked down, it will make the approach to the overground more welcoming and safer for all as well as bring some much needed business to the slowly dying businesses on the Wightman road. It is becoming more and more common that in saturated areas like Haringey developments are being granted permission without parking consent such as the one behind the wood green bus garage and what I have realised is that such developments when combined with affordable home schemes as this one seems to be planned for attract a mixture of first time buyers who cant afford to get on the property ladder on developments where there are amenities such as parking provisions not to mention the price of buying on our lovely streets especially the ladder! I do agree that the residents that occupy the planned 80 apartments will still put added pressure on the local services... though what some of you seem not to know is that developers must negotiate a deal as part of planning permission acceptance with the local authority and make a payment to them to help with the costs of alleviating these pressures, usually a very high percentage in consideration of the total sales value of the development, its not the developers fault if the local authority make poor use of these substantial payments!

The unlamented tower block on Denmark Road, dating from 1964, was of course DYLAN THOMAS HOUSE.  Not sure why, following its demise, they didn't call the whole Denmark Road collection "UNDER MILK WOOD".  DTH was 16 floors with 133 flats, the Llareggub man beating Keats by a short head: JOHN KEATS HOUSE was a mere 15 floors.  Now who was the pseudo-literary Planning Officer at the birth of "LB Haringey", 1964/5, who fancied calling high-rise blocks after dreamy dipsomaniac consumptive poets?  I suppose the fresh air on the 15th or 16th floor balconies would clear the head or the lungs - but then I don't think there were any balconies.

When did that come down? I have been here since 86 and can remember Denmark Road being built but can't remember what was there before.  I also can't remember what was where the mosque is now.

Must have been about 2002. They were empty for a while and for a time there was a pirate radio station on top of Dylan Thomas.

I don't remember it but I believe there was a synagogue on the site where the mosque is now. There was a filling station opposite where the new block of flats now stands.

1997/98, I believe.

There was a smaller block - Hallam or Hollam House - which may have stood where the Mosque or the Cypriot Women's Centre stands now - and where the old Synagogue may have stood  earlier.

Can't be OAE as I didn't move here until 1998 and the two tower blocks wre still there for a couple of years at least.

John,you may well be right. I just remember its gaunt presence when I used hop off the 41 while I was still teaching - i.e. up to 2002/3.

All's well that ends well, the architects Cooley have experience of dealing with 'tight urban sites with unusual constraints' and steering through planning applications; e.g. Margery Street, London WC1. 'Cooley Architects were formed in August 2010 in a spirit of optimism during a recession.' But let the man speak for himself.

Darn it, there goes my personal 'grand designs' site.   And where am I going to get my RSJ's now?

I can't agree with those who say the current set up is unsafe (though admit it is a bit scruffy): I like living in an area that includes light industry, not wall-to-wall executive housing.  For me it's a shame to see some of the richness of the area go.

More seriously, this does seem like a high density development for a small site.  My main concerns, as a Hampden Road resident, are how it will impact on traffic (everyone knows that the top end of Hampden Road gets very congested at busy times for the mosque), and on the trains. They're basically full already, and what with the new development next to Ally Pally station, and then this one, I think they might break, yet the long term thinking seems to be to reduce the service, I think. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service