Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Lydia, - on the bedroom tax, which causes people so many problems in so many ways, this article by Michael Rosen is worth a read I think.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/14/bedroom-tax-de...

Yes, this is what happens when laws are made by men who are used to working in offices.  It's not that they are unkind people in most cases, they are just looking at things as they would look at how an office is run.  You don't develop a personal relationship with your office and you don't (usually, if you know what's good for you) develop a relationship with your staff.  There are many laws with this sort of slant, this is not the only one. It is all a bit difficult really because as I have remarked, if your job is to save public money then there would be a lot of pressure to think along those lines.

There is the other side, isn't there?  The families living in B&B because Councils don't have the spare housing.  I honestly can't come up with a pat answer now, but I am interested in ideas.

Indeed.  This is all very pleasing.  I have to say I got a different perspective having done all those interviews over the past couple of weeks.  But I did get some other stories as well, unfortunately.  I am sorry to say that the Council is hiding rather a lot from the public as well.

Storm the baracades Lydia, kick out the procrastinators, restore the pride of the Haringey, plant the three Rs in the ground; 'reduce, reuse, recycle!!' The kids will be right behind you! You ... can ... do it!! ... well, someone has to :)

Thanks, Dave--whoever you are.

I rather like the sound of Lydia - not because she is a Conservative, but because she has a mind of her own. Which ward are you contesting Lydia ?

Harringay.  

I do try to keep a mind of my own.  It caused me a lot of probs when I was in school and then in university, and then in politics.  I am with the Conservative party because my friend (Justin Hinchcliffe, the chap who has attracted Mr. Foxe's opprobrium) is prepared to stand for my independence.  I am certain there are many others who would not.  Mind you, he isn't your standard Tory either, so perhaps we are friends because we are both marching to a different beat.  There has to be someone--it is well known that soldiers have destroyed bridges, simply by marching in time. 

Lydia is FIERCELY independent, unpredictable and unique - can that be said of any of Haringay's current councillors? I suspect not. She is also genuine, hard-working and bright. Who wouldn't want those qualities in a local councillor?  (Chair, Tottenham Conservatives)

Oooh Justin, I didn't know you cared!

(he NEVER says stuff like that to my face, you know)

Trust my fiver's in the post?

Keep digging Lydia.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service