Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also, it just occurred to me that the local Labour Party must be really REALLY worried, if they have started throwing racist mud around.  I note that you have not so far had much luck winning an argument, and the Party is certainly are not winning on morality.  So now you are trying the 'racist' trump card. 

Well, politics is a dirty business, although I do fervently hope that I am never panicked into such desperate tactics against any of my opponents.

Lydia Rivlin — so nauseated by vote rigging in the wards, venality in the Council, shenanigans in the Planning Department and disorganisation in the Social Services, that I signed up to fight it all by becoming a Conservative candidate in the May elections.  One thing about the Tories—they haven’t been corrupted by power round here.

Yes, Justin was very VERY annoyed, as you can see.  I didn't see that stuff about the GLA nomination but let's just call that a little exaggeration.  There would have been no chance of me getting it because the Hornsey and Wood Green branch were not overfond of me.  While I was Chair of the Tottenham lot I organised a series of talks to which I invited the likes of Peter Tatchell and Frank Field.  As I have frequently said, I didn't fit the Conservative mold too well.  One of the members in particular loathed me--as I loathed him.  He had no imagination and resented mine. So no, the GLA would have been a non-starter.  As I said, I became disillusioned with the Conservatives.  I think the chap with whom I was having the furious row about inviting Tatchell ended up leaving the Tories and joining UKIP so you might agree that I had probably chosen the right man to irritate. 

And yes, Delderfield was around during my Baby P campaign.  He delivered some leaflets for me.  I discussed nothing with him but which streets he was going to post and remembered him as being quite deeply involved with the Labour Party previously and delivering leaflets for them in Fortis Green, where I used to live.  I paid no attention at all to the history of anyone who was prepared to help me try to avenge that child's death by delivering literature about it.  I was so steamingly furious about what happened that I would have had the Devil himself delivering leaflets if he had offered to do so.  But I rather think the Devil was working for the other side at the time.

Lydia Rivlin — so nauseated by vote rigging in the wards, venality in the Council, shenanigans in the Planning Department and disorganisation in the Social Services, that I signed up to fight it all by becoming a Conservative candidate in the May elections.  One thing about the Tories—they haven’t been corrupted by power round here.

Hi Lydia
Dennis Delderfield's involvement with the Labour Party in Fortis Green was I believe in 1964 way before he went independent and then founded the New Britain Party in 1976.

Emine Ibrahim
Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

Fair enough Emina, but since the man has crossed the paths of both of us--in your case as a dedicated worker for Labour and in my case as an ordinary citizen, shocked by the horrible death of an infant under the supervision of people who were being paid to protect him -- perhaps we can have less of this "Delderfield--oh no!" stuff from your colleagues.

Well not really - I was born in 1976 so our paths have never crossed.

Emine Ibrahim
Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)
And this from the 2004 GLA elections

CANDIDATES FOR LONDON ASSEMBLY LONDON-WIDE MEMBERS

Conservative Party

15.Yvonne Lydia Rivlin

http://www.lgcplus.com/elections-2004-mayoral-and-assembly-nominati...

And your point is...?

As I have already said, I was in the Conservatives, and working hard for them I might say, between 2001 and 2005.  So what is so remarkable about me being on a Conservative list for a date during that period? 

But then I left.  That is also not remarkable. 

What a load of nonsense.  You really *are* desperate, aren't you?

Desperate for what? And why are you being rude to me?

Well actually I am not sure exactly what you are desperate for, but pulling out a record that I was on a Conservative list when I had from the beginning said I was working for the Conservatives at that time--that does appear to be a bit desperate, doesn't it?

I am not being rude.  I am pointing out how very silly this all is.

Lydia, my post was deleted which is why you couldnt respond to it. Seemingly plain speaking on HOL without poetry or literary references is just NOT on.

Ah, I'm sorry about that but Hugh obviously had his reasons, although I have to say for the record that they probably were nothing to do with poetry.

If you are still interested in an answer, add me to your connections and I can message you instead.

Lydia, being a Tory isn't just for Christmas.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor. Not a Tory last time I looked.)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service