Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course. I had forgotten the Utopia that was Haringey, prior to 2010

" I refer you to my answer earlier "  Reply by John D on March 31, 2014 at 17:06 

James, we have a tacit moratorium on singling out grammatical mistakes to permit a level playing field ...

Been checking, Seema, and blood is at a constant 98.4 F  But I have to admit, when I see your picture the heartbeat spikes. Give up on Alan, there are other fish in the sea  

Alan led me on and then took another woman to the alter. 

Please don't mock the breaking of my heart. It is painful.

However, his wife says I can have him whenever I want, but I am resisting.

I'll consider your offer but I'm warming to the idea of marrying Phil K in June. 

Don't do it, Phil!

Lydia Rivlin — so nauseated by vote rigging in the wards, venality in the Council, shenanigans in the Planning Department and disorganisation in the Social Services, that I signed up to fight it all by becoming a Conservative candidate in the May elections.  One thing about the Tories—they haven’t been corrupted by power round here.

God, that's creepy.  It puts me in mind of a situation right here in the Borough, something to do with a person Who Must Not Be Named.

ah...since Seema Chandwani insists, I am a soon-to-be Conservative candidate in the local election, standing because I want to fight the endemic corruption in our Council, with particular reference to Councillors who access Council resources for personal use.

Creepier and creepier...

Also, I am truly sorry to read that you are under such pressure.  This should never happen in any society that calls itself democratic. 

Lydia Rivlin — so nauseated by vote rigging in the wards, venality in the Council, shenanigans in the Planning Department and disorganisation in the Social Services, that I signed up to fight it all by becoming a Conservative candidate in the May elections.  One thing about the Tories—they haven’t been corrupted by power round here.

since Seema Chandwani insists, I am a soon-to-be Conservative candidate in the local election

Thank you Ms Rivlin. Much appreciated.

Actually Hugh insists, Seema was just being uncharacteristically pedantic.

You are right, John, Hugh did tell me I should -- but it was Seema who prompted the discussion. 

As I remark in my response to her, I am truly grateful as I now realise what a terrific opportunities I have been missing all this time.

Just look and the size of the "Lydia R" segment and think how many posts I have made, many of them having nothing to do with the elections or even politics and not containing anything in the way of publicity that would draw the attention of potential voters to my reasons for standing.  What a waste of one-liners!

I did think of taking to task Alan S (who has been in this discussion from the beginning) for not pointing out this lapse but then he is wise in the ways of local politics and obviously a bit cannier than Seema.  

uncharacteristically pedantic

LoOoOoL! Are you being cheeky Mr McMullan? You'll get a spank if you carry on like that sunshine! ;) x

"You'll get a spank if you carry on like that sunshine"

Have to say, that sounded vaguely creepy, too.

I am a very obliging person, Ms. Chandwani and in general I have found that being nice to people rebounds to the good in many unexpected ways. 

I had not thought of putting anything under my name because I felt so at home in HoL after all these years, that I no more thought of it than I would consider it a polite necessity to wear shoes in my own house.

However, since the sign-off into which you have prompted me gets the message across, even when I am not talking politics, I have to thank you for your good advice.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service