Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear John

Yes it is a fact that Labour have locally been in power for over 40 years and yes it is also true that this is a local election.

However, we cannot deny that for the first time in a long time, national policies are impacting with our local democracy. Some examples:

• Bedroom Tax: This is now impacting on local housing issues which the council (not govt) are in charge of but did not decide to put in place.
  • Abolishing of council tax benefit: This is impacting on local govt finances which the council (not govt) are in charge of but did not decide to put in place.
  • Removal of ringfences budgets: We have no Area Based Grant and funding to carry out national statutory responsibility (Child Protection for example) is not being followed with the Govt funding based on needs. 
  • Cut of the Decent Homes budget: Which was Govt money to local councils to bring council homes up to standard.
  • Education Policy: Where the Govt are dictating to local councils that they cannot control their own education market to build schools or where they should be, instead the DfE decides and it is via a private sponsor appointed by the Govt. This should be a local council decision. 

So yes, whilst I would love to have a local election based on local issues, I am not blinded by the Govt policies and the power they have on local issues.

There is an intersectionality and no matter how many times people say "its a local election", national party politics are very much at play. If you don't like that, tell Gove, Pickles et al, to reinstate local democracy back to local councillors, elected by local people, to run local services.

There are loads of spelling and grammar mistakes in this post to get your blood boiling 

Sx

"Education Policy: Where the Govt are dictating to local councils that they cannot control their own education market to build schools or where they should be, instead the DfE decides and it is via a private sponsor appointed by the Govt. This should be a local council decision."

Why should it be a local council decision?  Haringey education has been in special measures for years.  Well back into the last Labour government many of the schools were handed over to outside supervision. 

"There are loads of spelling and grammar mistakes in this post to get your blood boiling"

Yes, you do seem rather to make a virtue out of making mistakes, don't you?  You imply they are deliberate.  Well, that's one way of deflecting criticism I suppose. 

As for my blood boiling--I shall check my temperature when I have stopped laughing, and let you know.

This post was not aimed at you..... This is cringing.

But continue with your personal attacks on me. You look good as someone who wants to be an elected member of the council.

Classy.

Hi Lydia

While we were talking to residents this weekend they raised their anger at Tottenham Tories use of the Guardian branding. This includes typeset, heading and layout. They felt insulted that the Tories would make assumptions that something like that would impact on their voting intentions.

Emine Ibrahim
The Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

Well if you have ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of being elected, why not take the mickey out of your electorate?

LOL! 

She is good comedy value. I like her. She has no idea about policy, politics or issues, but I like her. I like the way she gets easily wound up and loses composure.

I might just vote for her for entertainment value. 

Are you not something high up the very greasy pole of Tottenham Labour? 

Tsk tsk, such disloyalty.

Your political ambitions is robbing the world of an A-class comedian. 

In response to your question (see I answer questions).

It is no secret to anyone that I am the Secretary of the local Labour Party, afterall many members of HoL are Labour party members and my name is all over the party documents.

It is not a publically elected position to control public office or public finances.

But you would know that, you were the Tottenham Conservatives Deputy Chairman in 2006 (strangely after you claim you left the party). 

Anyway whilst I detest the policies of the party you stand for, I have respect for anyone willing to stand in a local election, regardless of what party.

I am sure Lydia/Yvonne, we will have a lot of fun together over the next few weeks. You are a lot more fun this time around than you have been in previous elections you have stood for as a Conservative candidate. 

Have a great evening Ms Rivlin and good luck 

Hey, folks, it looks like I got promoted!
Nothing gets nastier than a Labour campaign when the activists think they might be losing ground. 

With the latest semi-co-ordinated assault from Seema and Emina, I appear to have been upgraded from strong>Minor Irritant> to strong>Serious Worry>.   I confidently expect that pretty soon I might be offered the even higher-ranking position of strong>Oh Shit, It Looks Like She’s More In Touch Than We Are>.

But of course, far be it from me to anticipate that honour.  I shall wait for the local Labour Party to confer it on me when they wake up.

^^

Are you saying there is no difference between the Labour Govt and current Tory Govt Academies programme? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service