Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello Harringay,

A few weeks ago a good friend in the Conservatives asked me to run under their banner in the local elections and I didn't laugh right in his face.

My original excursion into politics was in 2001, when I joined the Conservatives because I was so angry about the Victoria Climbie thing but then I left them in 2005 because:

a) I got fed up of politics and

b) I got fed up of the Conservatives (mind you I was just as fed up of the other lot).

When, a few weeks ago, I was invited back to the treadmill, I wasn't any better disposed to the political life but there is so much sh*t going on in this borough that I decided I couldn't ignore it any more.  I don't fit that well into a Party mold but seeing as the Conservatives are the only group really serious about opposition in this borough and seeing as I am an Angry Old Woman, I decided that *someone* has to do something.  Don't talk to me about the LibDems. The place for nodding dogs is in the back of the car, not in the Council chamber.

*If you want to follow me on Twitter, the address is <@LoveHarringay>  

*If you want to get in touch with me by phone, leave a message with Tottenham Conservatives on 020 8374 6305.  I'll get back to you.  Or email loveharringay@gmail.com.

*If you want to discuss political theory, ring the LSE.  

And from now on, you can be as suspicious as you want about anything I say.  

btw:

I and my two running-mates, Sean Rivers and Massimo Rossini (NB--Rivers, Rivlin & Rossini make The Three Rs, which all good Conservatives support) will be putting out a leaflet soon.

The local party have agreed to let us write up our own stuff, so we are actually going to be working hard on it, ourselves.   At least take a look when it lands on your doormat.

Views: 10373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations must go to you Lydia R for bursting on the scene with a colourful discussion here on HOL & displaying obvious local political ambition. Look at you, Top Five!. Questions from a confused voter;

• what does R of Lydia R stand for?
  • do you live in Harringay ward?
  • what do think should happen to the current property bubble in Harringay?
  • what should be done about the confusing local health service provision?
  • should Harringay Arena be re-born?
  • do you enjoy a nice cuppa with you Daily Telegraph?
It really IS the Lydia Show isn't it? I notice that mine and Dawnage's comments stating that we won't be voting for Lydia have been removed.

No Sharon, this is the HoL show. Any comment that we notice or that is drawn to our attention which breaks our house rules gets removed. Where replies to that comment no longer make sense they are removed too. Your comment crossed the line and was removed. But go ahead and accuse of of being a Tory mouthpiece; I think thats one accusation we need if we're going to matriculate in accusations of party favouriting.

The way not to get a comment removed is to ALWAYS be courteous to other members. Disagree all you like, but be civil along with it.

Ooh err! I'm accused of accusing? That's not nice. You may have to remove your own comment ;-))

For the record, I did not complain about Sharon's postings.  In fact I rather looked forward to the "messages wot she wrote".  After all, every Morcambe has to have his Wise.

However I appreciate that Hugh runs a tight ship here, which is what makes HoL such a good forum, so I do not complain about the enforcement of his rules, either.

I personally didn't think you had, Lydia. I was actually warming to you although your quaint quote of...is that *really* supposed to be me? above is unkind and most definitely not in the rule book inni? But since you are dead good with words an' ride 'osses and that...you will probably remain un edited. ;-))

Sharon, I have been puzzling about your reference to a "quaint quote".  I genuinely didn't know what you were talking about until I remembered the Jim Butcher reference about Stupid being more dangerous than Evil.  Actually, that was nothing to do with you, it went back to the "Jesus wept" earlier when Rich started it with his biblical numbers.  I might poke fun at some of your excesses but I would never call anyone stupid.  If you call someone stupid and they are not, that is a pointlessly unconstructive insult.  If they really are stupid then it is a waste of time even to point it out as they have no capacity for change.

The "stupid" was a barb aimed at the general behaviour of our local Labour party (and so the Council it dominates).  I have actually met very few stupid people but I have observed a lot of people doing stupid things.  I do not exclude myself from this, btw because stupid is part of the human condition.  Bringing it back to the politics, I guess that what I am doing by putting myself forward is asking people to consider which of us candidates is likely to do, or agree to the Council doing, the fewest stupid things.

On the other hand, your chippiness about my command of English and the fact I ride, is rather silly you know, and does you no favours.  As for the riding, it keeps me fit.  Fitness is good and I have tried, unsuccessfully to convince the Council that there should be local riding facilities here in Haringey.  Riding is just about the ONLY sport that women pursue with enthusiasm into their middle age and in my opinion the lack of support for it in this borough is pure sexism.  How many football/rugby fields and cricket pitches do the Council support?  Think about it.

For the “dead good with words” (thank you—I take that as a true compliment), although I am not Shakespeare, or even Barbara Cartland, I am aware I can make words dance about.  I spent a chunk of my working life trying to pass on this capacity to my students, it is not as if I wish to keep it to myself, I want EVERYONE to do it and that is why I am so passionate about education.  It certainly is not as if I think it gives me any particular entitlement although I have to point out, it might give me a voice in the Council which is more clearly heard. 

I presumed from the previous post that the message was directed at me, it seemed that way. I would've complimented you in a less jokey manner had I realised. You do write well, but perhaps need editing a bit. So many words! So little said!

Ahhh.  Now you've gone and spoilt it.

We'll have to take it slowly Lydia. I've never had a Tory friend before. Me being a Barnsley lass ;-)

I'm not a tory, really so you still don't.  But if it would make you more comfortable, I can act all superior  cuz I'm from LEEDS!  Everyone in Leeds is supposed to look down on Barnsley.  It is a condition of citizenship.

"Not a Tory, really ..."

It's alright, Lydia. We'd all worked that out.  How?  Simple. As there's no hope of the Tory Party winning in Haringey, all the real  Tories have already snuck into the Labour and LibDem parties to get elected.

Anyway, the thousands of HoL members are very broad-minded. People coming-out doesn't faze anyone. Besides we already knew. The amber skin is a give-away. Welcome, visitor from the Planet Zog.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service