Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

London 2012 - which building should go on Haringey's pin badge design?

Alexandra Palace, Hornsey Town Hall or Bruce Castle.

If you had to choose, which one would you say was your favourite?

London2012 are asking you to choose one of these three Haringey landmarks to go on a pin badge celebrating the Olympics. You can vote here

(note requires registration first)

Tags for Forum Posts: olympics, olympics 2012

Views: 886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ally Pally
Ally Pally. Because it has alot of history and its know by alot of people. Also its a very nice place!
I'm inclined to agree with you both James and Elladee.

While Bruce Castle and Hornsey Town Hall are lovely buildings, Ally Pally is part of the East Haringey skyline and holds such an important place in national history. Plus, as you say, Elladee, its a nice place to spend an afternoon.
Er, Liz, I would say, important place in world history.

My little contribution to this is here, The Pride of Haringey (scroll down a wee bit).
The Haringey (Council) Symbol is based on a device in the Borough Arms. It is a stylised electric flash representing the first television transmission in Britain from Alexandra Palace

Embarassed to say I didn't know this. :)

Matt, you’re far from alone. You can be forgiven for not realizing because the council takes so little pride in the history of the Borough. They were prepared to see the world’s first TV studios demolished. Visit the Studios. Speak to your councillor. Press the council to refurbish them. These Studios should not merely be the pride of Haringey, but the pride of London and Britain.
Anyone know how many millions it cost us a few years ago to re-stylise that electric flash from the staid boxed-in image in the Borough Arms to the new dynamic thunderbolt needed to symbolise the renewed dynamism of our multi-starred Council going forward?
For the sake of clarity, I should point out that the change refered to was the change from the not-bad logo that had stood Haringey in good stead for 40+ years, to the horribly twisted, distorted, mangled mess that was a result of the tweak. Not every municipal facility sports the new, uglified version (alongside).

It cost many thousands of pounds and was caused I believe by a certain current “cabinet executive” member who did this on her own initiative without consulting even her cabinet colleagues. It was another example of utter money-waste from the council. I would change it back, but its expenditure than can wait ...

For the past few years, its looked like a squashed spider trying to escape from a box of darkness:

Thanks Clive - that's it. So, not millions. Nothing to worry about, then.
OAE: it was probably thousands for the graphic design and tens of thousands (but probably not hundreds of thousands) for the reproduction on letterheads, vans and buildings around the Borough. Every single penny was wasted of course, because the ugly tweaking was more than unnecessary, it was undesirable.

The executive member for propaganda at Haringey made these changes at the time when this council were in the midst of trying to sell-off our Charity’s asset as a (quote) “developer shell” and were knowingly acquiescing in the certain demolition of the world’s first TV studios which began regular TV broadcasting on 2 November 1936.

It is my contention that the timing was no accident: it might look embarrassing if Haringey’s Logo remained closely associated with the deeply wretched decision about the studios they were prepared to see demolished.

So, I believe the decision was made in Haringey's Propaganda Ministry to loosen the link between the event (1st TV broadcast) and the Council’s Corporate Logo. It was dressed up as a freshening or modernisation, but instead stands as mute testimony to the pure perfidy of which Haringey is capable.

Even though in some parts of the council’s grasp we have the Squashed Spider Logo, our Borough’s Coat of Arms is less easy to manipulate:

If you go into the Civic Centre and then the Council Chamber (or public gallery above) and look at the far wall, you see the dias for the Mayor and assorted associates.

In the centre, behind the Mayoral Chair and up on the wall, is the biggest and most impressive version of the Coat of Arms, with the Alexandra Palace Lightning Flash logo prominent on the shield.

The motto: "Progress with Humanity"

For a period, this meant "Asset strip with Shame"

Elladee: Yes!

Easy peasy, ally pally, for all the reasons given pllus the fact that it is so recognisable and unique in a way that the town hall simply is not.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service