Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There are 3 references to Wightman Road in the draft Local Implementation Plan (LIP):

• the junction with Turnpike Lane
  • the Railway Bridge
  • the possibility of a new bus route] and one reference to investment [bridge maintenance].

The first two consolidate the perception that it is Council policy, in contravention of two of the Mayor's Transport Strategy Goals, to see and use Wightman Road as no more than a traffic pressure valve for Green Lanes, not as a significant residential component of the Harringay Ladder Neighbourhood.

This view is reinforced by the absence of representation from Wightman Road residents on bodies such as the Green Lanes Strategy Group. There is no specific mention of measures to address residents' concerns in respect of environment or safety.

Notwithstanding these inadequacies, the LIP2 process provides an opportunity for a significant improvement in quality of life for Wightman Road residents through:

• Recognition and acknowledgement of impact of current and future council policy on Wightman Road and of issues which concern residents
  • A stated shift in vision to recognise Wightman Road as a significant residential component of the Harringay Ladder/Green Lanes Neighbourhood.
  • Planned proactive enforcement of current provisions in respect of vehicle speed and weight across the Harringay Ladder neighbourhood to improve safety and ensure success of 20mph zone
  • Enhanced dialogue between residents, traders, Safer Neighbourhoods Team (Police), councillors and officers specifically addressing status and development of Wightman Road in the context of its neighbourhood

I attach some of the LIP2 documents and a discussion document addressing residents' concerns and the LIP2.

Tags for Forum Posts: LIP2, Road, Wightman, consultation, noise, pollution, transport, vibration

Views: 125

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It feels like you've put your dukes up Paul and I'm not quite sure why. I think we agree on everything except perhaps my suggestion that you give reasoning behind your personal comments on the chair of the GLSG.

It's site policy not to allow personal sleights, Paul. This is no special pleading. If you're going to criticise people. it's not unreasonable to expect that you explain why, elected official or not.

However, I respect your decision not to give those reasons. So let's move on.
The criticism is of The Chair for failing the residents of Wightman Road. The reasons given are clear. If my comments breach site policy remove them. And yes Hugh, you are right, I'm hopping mad, we appear to be back to the pre-election position of comfortable complacency. Now perhaps amidst all this social nicety someone might explain to the residents of my street why they don't get an equal say in how their money is spent?
I'm delighted you're on the case Paul. As you know, I'm keen to do everything I can to help deal with the traffic issue.

Meet for a chat, along with others who feel minded to address Ladder traffic?

(As for whether your comments wd be taken as a comments on the person, I'll allow other people to make up their own minds. I've made my point.)
Re-read what I wrote Hugh, it's the 'approach' which was described as undemocratic and frustratingly arrogant, not the Office or the person. But if that still breaches rules then delete it, the issue remains and there's a resounding silence. I'll be looking out for adjectives applied to, say, the PM's policy stance, they'll have to be cleansed equally.
More than happy to continue discussing both the limitations of the local democratic process and the tediously predictable and continuing failure of our Council to use the powers for which they take responsibility to deal with residents concerns over traffic. What about over a pint?
Sounds good. 8th or 11th any good?
Oh count me in.
Well the 8th seems appropriate/inappropriate [delete as req.] as it is the close of the LIP consultation for ordinary folk.
Are you suggesting an earlier date, Paul?
I shall be making a submission on behalf of the N4 part of my street but if there were to be a group of HOLers who wished, and were sufficiently like minded, to meet up and thrash out a submission - then it would need to be asap.

The links below take you to the LIP consultation and the TfL bus route consultation.

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/lip.htm

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/13922.aspx
Improving road user satisfaction

I presume they're clumsily trying to lump cyclists and drivers together.

Nice. All those people in Enfield who use our roads to drive into the city will be pleased at that. As will all those tradesmen who use my road to drive into Crouch End.

You know what Haringey? There were roads here before there were cars. I played cricket and football on mine when I was young, would that count as "use"? Yeah, didn't think so.

Tomorrow night?
Sorry John, only just picked this up. Could you do Tuesday?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service