Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

He represents Tottenham Hale and is a former Mayor of the borough - the make-up of the Council is now:

Views: 729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does this mean, David, you've given up on Seven Sisters? Will you be telling the good people of N4&8 that you live in the "heart" of Toittenham (-:
Thank you David, as you are one of the people who are seeking election in this area who actually take the time out to engage with HOL, I feel the guantlet I threw down re talking to the people here online who actually want to represent us in the election has already been taken up by you.

Also to be fair to the Lib Dems, they do make a point of being fairly regular with the asking residents what they need/want in the area. Of all the parties, communication from you is the most regular.

I would say however, that while we appreciate the efforts to get short term problems fixed, it is the longer term issues that return time and time again. Hugh ran a survey on HOL and a similar consultation was run for the Charter about what people would like to see for the future of Harringay and it is on this that I find all the parties oddly lacking in vision or even interest on the doorstep.

Although I appreciate that work is being put in by everybody on the Charter, how is this being communicated in positive terms to the electorate? We can get bogged down in details (like my obsession with litter) and fail to take the time out to come up with solutions in the long term. The police's recent yellow lines on Endymion rd to solve problems of abandoned cars and crime was a great example of thinking a little bigger.

Here's an example: on this thread we have talked about Harringay being a 'transient community'.

Putting aside my feelings on whether this is true, I would like to know if the parties believe this is true, what is their definition of transience, if it is acceptable and why they feel this is the case? If a lot of the transience is down to poor housing, etc, what will they do to make the transient become permanent? No one wants to be moved around every few months, most people want roots. A question to be asked is, if the mind set of those that govern is this is a transient community, has this affected their attitude and made them fail to think longer term? Do many of the short term problems that take up cllrs time stem from this failure to take a long view? e.g. slum landlords having near carte blanche to exploit the poor and vulnerable because they are not tackled effectively by the local authority.

Of course, as transience is an element of any community (students, short term lets), what are the policies for ensuring that the relevant information re council services such as waste disposal are communicated effectively to newcomers? Many problems arise because people don't know what they are entitled to or what the community expects of them i.e. not chucking mattresses into the street. How can we help to settle people in quickly and effectively so they do feel at home?

This is just one example, I have more but I hope you get my point. As well as asking, what's wrong, do you and your canvassers ask, what ideas do you have for improvement and how can we help you achieve that? I'd vote for someone who asked me that...don't all rush at once

btw speaking of outreach, the Area Assembly is or should be a place to thrash some of this stuff out. As you know David, it is a shambles. Local cllrs need the power to be able to manage them effectively and make them work for the people.
Haringey labour councillors are not interested in transforming the life of residents but theirs only. They fool us by describing themselves as public servants on the contrary as soon as they are elected into office they become masters of corruption, deceit, arrogance, greed etc
Jona, there are 29 Labour councillors in Haringey (at least there were when I started this post). Without a shred of evidence, how do your sweeping accusations help any argument? Go back and start thinking.
Was I dreaming, or did Justin promise he was disappearing himself permanently from HOL the other day?
Did his disappearance coincide with Jona's appearance?
Are Jona's posts beginning to disappear as mysteriously as his friend Justin?
Is Jonaustin the new Jedward?
Do/es they really live on Wightman Road?
Was Jona really introduced to HOL by our Residents' Association???

Those of us worried about WR's declining property values think we should be told.
Site admin will jump on you for putting off new-comers. They are collecting them. "God" knows why.

I have to admit, without the anti-Labour bias, I did like the original post.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service