Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

He represents Tottenham Hale and is a former Mayor of the borough - the make-up of the Council is now:

Views: 729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, Julie, what I meant was that neither I nor my neighbours see the Ladder as a transient community. The Whittington A&E reference was just what I happened to be doing yesterday evening.

As for party canvassers/councillors/wannabe councillors: in the past 25-30 years I have seen no Labour or Conservative candidates, elected councillors or activists 'working' this road, or even expressing an opinion on its problems, even in the lead up to elections. (I'm not counting faceless leaflets stuck through our front doors with the more useful pizza menus).

At least Lib Dem people have been putting in the effort from time to time over the past five or six years - making gains in 2006, and likely to build on those gains in May, through Labour's taking us for granted. And I doubt whether your new generation are making much of a mark either. Ask most of us on the western edge of Harringay Ward about Nora or Jonathan - you'll get the same blank look as if you'd mentioned the great Tory hope, Tim.

Haley, at least, has/had a name and a face.
Agreed. I've been here 12 years and never seen a Labour or Conservative leaflet even. Lib Dems have something through the letter box once a fortnight. David Schmitz from the Lib Dems has doorstepped me and always says hello in the street.
We have delivered Harringay at least twice since in the last year. The last item was a residents' survey. We had over 100 responses from Harringay Ward.
OAE/John: Falkland Rd had some new trees planted last week. I love elections in marginal wards.
I've lived in my ward since 1983 when we set up our first home. Of course I regard myself as living in a community but it's undeniably a transient community. Otherwise where does all the debate about HMOs come from on this site?

Brian wasn't your ward councillor, though, he was ours. We never saw him. He was your neighbour in fact so maybe that's why he was so familiar. It would have been very wrong of us to reselect him, and not just on the basis of his arrogance with ordinary St Ann's residents, his relish for refusing things, his inability, or unwillingness, to respond to calls, emails and requests. His reputation in St Ann's was absolutely dire. He also turned in a very lacklustre performance when we interviewed him. He told us all that dumped mattresses were no longer a problem in Haringey and his evidence for this assertion was that people only ever complained to him these days about dogshit. The next candidate, the indomitable David Browne, then came in with a blown up photograph of a pile of mattresses so vast that they must have had their own postcode. As a would-be candidate, he had been helping residents to get them cleared. The contrast couldn't have been greater.

Brian knew he was out of favour with a lot of us. He had four years to mend fences, do the work and earn our respect. He chose instead to use the time to build up his own portfolio and make it his main business to refuse everything we asked for for the ward. Have a stroll round the bits of St Ann's furthest from Chez Haley and see what it's like. Then ask yourself why the lead member for environment who was the ward councillor didn't do more for the environment of the very poorest in his own ward.
do you hate each other in Tottenham Labour? (-:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is not a transient element to the community, but it is dangerous to make that its key identifier. The issues over HMOs come from slum landlords exploiting folk and building shoddy conversions out of unsuitable properties not that we don't recognise a need for affordable housing for all members of our community (maybe people don't stay because they are being asked to live in slums not decent housing).
We must be careful that we don't paint the area as a constant victim
I remember the council's description of the area in the neighbourhoods section that made the place look like a crime ridden slum until a few people pointed our that it was too negative and verged on the racist by equating a diverse community with crime and poverty.

Julie, with the greatest respect, I don't think you took the hint. I don't care about Brian Haley. If he comes around here, canvassing for my vote (is this likely?), he will be told he won't get it. End of.

If you want me and my neighbours to vote for your candidates in the Labour party, its time to get them talking to us about the future and not bashing former colleagues who half of them probably couldn't name anyone.

Decisions have been made on all sides, everyone is in their place ready for the election, do start convincing us of why we should vote for your lot not why we shouldn't vote for that lot or this lot. I have yet to hear a single policy from anyone.
I'm enjoying the bitching and I don't think it's up to Julie to provide us with Labour policy but I'm not hearing that from Nora et al either.
I totally - 100% - support Liz's last post. Julie's posts are just so negative. Her pitch for votes seems to be this: all our previous Labour councillors were lazy/useless/stupid/racist/disloyal/incompetent (delete as appropriate) but the new ones are fab.

Haringey Council has been Labour-run for over four decades. In my view that's a long time for any party to be in power. Labour now arrogantly think they have a right to govern. We need change. And a spell in opposition wouldn't do Labour any harm at all.
Can you do me a favour Justin? Can you please name the Conservative candidates for Harringay and St Ann's wards?Could you signpost where we can read something about them and what they hope to achieve?

In short what that change consists of and why we should choose them over what we have got.
I don't respond to slogans and soundbites but I do respond to people who show an understanding of the area and have some ideas about what they can do for us.

@John agree with your second point. It is not up to Julie to be the sole voice of Labour (nor Justin of the Conservatives). I made the same point in a previous post. Where are the councillors? We want to talk to them now.
We have selected Tim Caines for Harringay - tim@tottenhamconservatives.com - we will chose the other two within a fortnight.

For St. Ann's Ward we have Phevious Joannides, Micheal Olajide and a woman who cannot 'come out' until next week. I know this sounds strange, but trust me on this one. She is VERY well-known in the area and we're delighted to have her.

Leaflets and door-knocking is already taking place. Watch this space.
I should add that a manifesto is being drawn up...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service