Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

He represents Tottenham Hale and is a former Mayor of the borough - the make-up of the Council is now:

Views: 749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He's also done a big u-turn on scrapping student fees. Hey ho - that's the student vote the Libs have lost! (-D
What disciplinary action did it take? If you accepted his apologogy, why bang on about it now? Somebody's not telling the truth here.
I am tired of being accused of untruthfulness.

Here's a piece of evidence for you: Sheik's apology which refers to his final written warning. The Labour party properly took action. I remind you that he called Alan Dobbie a racist.

Subject: Apology for my outburst in the Council Chamber on 23rd February2009

RE: In response to a Letter from Chief Whip dated 24th March 2009

To: The Chief Whip Cllr Harry Lister, His Worship the Mayor Cllr Alan Dobbie, Leader of the Council
Cllr Claire Kober and all Labour Councillors

26th March 2009

Without prejudice

Dear Cllr Lister, Cllr Kober, Cllr Dobbie and Labour Colleagues,

Thank you for your letter of 24th March 2009.

I note your comments and will make the following:

It appears that you have not given much thought to the subject at hand. I cannot see where my letter of 23rd March 2009 could be regarded as offensive to anyone rather than me stating a fact and being frank regarding the way this issue of the school has been dealt with.

Your comments and the tone of your letter is very Stalinist in its content. You wrote a letter demanding that I sign it even if I disagree with its contents. As stated before human rights are not just a matter of fine words and great declarations. If they are not implemented in everyday dealings with my community it means nothing to us.

Being listened to is in part a matter of the general right not to be discriminated against (article 2). Contrary to your perception I am not hiding behind or using this letter or school as implied in your letter to cover up my behaviour in the Council Chamber. As a black man I cannot forget the history of gross human rights abuses, including slavery which is part of the personal histories of so many in my community.

It is no use telling my community how much you have spent (and are spending) on the structural element of the school whilst treating them and their representatives with total disrespect.

As a black Labour Councillor one of my key role is standing up for core values in our community and I am afraid that no threats of de-selection, harassment and bullying will deter me from doing so.

I would have thought that a Labour Administration more than any other administration would be encouraging its members to stand up for similar values. And indeed should be aware that issues of the school amongst other things is a highly controversial and highly charged subject in my community. You should expect conflicting view points and therefore the committee should have given due consideration to freedom of expression and be fairly balanced in its consideration of this unresolved issue that affects the community rather than being so dismissive of their views and indeed of myself.

I take notice that Cllr Lister and Chief Whip’s Office have given me a final written warning without giving me the courtesy of a hearing before an independent panel.

Ordinarily under human rights this kind of treatment of course is illegal and against the course of natural justice. So could you please tell me where in the constitution locally or nationally this course of action in authorised as normal? I am advised to read the 1976 Race Relations Act one more time. You should understand that the consequences of treating individuals less favourably than others because he/she has complained about discrimination. I would therefore advise and request you to retract from this course of action to avoid litigation.

I have said it before in my previous letter (Apology for my outburst) to the Mayor and the Chief Whip, I am very sorry that I got so over-heated in the meeting and apologised for any embarrassment caused, it was unintentional.

The letter you pushed in my hand to sign without amendments I would regard as an act of bullying and harassment with the sole purpose of creating (intentionally or unintentionally) of (i) violating my dignity or (ii) creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating environment for me to work and operate in.

I regard such actions as unreasonable when taking all the circumstances of this case into account. My perception is that there is a hostility towards me for daring to defend my Christian faith and for trying to defend a Christian school in my community.

(deleted; personal information of medical nature) it appears that the Group is applying as much pressure as now possible upon me by not accepting my own apology in good faith. Contrary to Cllr Reith’s view that the deputation from the Action Group being unrepresentative of the school, please let me remind you that these are the Parents of the Children going to the said school, and recent history of Children in Haringey, before dismissing Parental views.

Your implications that there is a division between this Organisation/School/Church/Parents, and could I remind you that there are divisions, including our own Council’s Group, and this is why we need to learn to listen to all options and opinions, which is exactly what I was endeavouring and trying to do all along.

It is my wish to bring this matter to a speedy conclusion for the sake of the party. I do not wish to enter into a situation where insults and threats is the norm in all our activities.

Yours faithfully

Cllr Sheik G.L. Thompson
Er, just wondering if anyone has seen my post about 21st century councillors.

The website linked to suggests that A 21st Century Councillor is one who is a supported, confident, talented and professional community leader. One who understands but can also transform their place. One who can think strategically, as well as be informed and inspired by their local roots.

without wishing to be rude, slogging it out about who said to what in which party doesn't seem to be one of the skills championed.

Just wondering, if anyone is doing themselves any favours with what, to someone who doesn't know the local political ins and outs, looks a bit like minor squabbling compared to what say you propose to do about say health inequality in Haringey, housing shortages or traffic problems. Its the future we are talking about here not the past.
Just a thought.
do you think any of our councillors have "transformed" Haringey? Carolyn? Gina? Karen? This is a serious question.
Which requires a serious answer.

In short, I don't know. On a personal level, having dealt with all of the named councillors, they certainly have aspirations to make our area a better place.

At a borough level and again from a personal viewpoint, I can point to parks and libraries as a success story and some areas of children's services such as childrens centres as well.

Look, I will share with you the way my husband has taken to dealing with the local election callers. First he asks them, if they live here (after they've asked what the problems are), usually they say yes.

So then he asks them why they don't know what the problems are and why they are still coming to his door weeks before an election with the same old questions they were asking in the past instead of ideas on how to get them solved (or at least asking him what he would like to see done to solve the problems).

That is not to say that he doesn't want them to listen but he finds it astonishing given the timescale that they aren't revealing a little more of their aspirations and vision. He works in business - if a business was still coming to him after 5 years and saying what do you want us to do, he'd fire them.

One of those qualities named was confidence. I want to vote for someone who has confidence in the future - not someone who tries to work out what will suit which interest group at which time and promise all yet deliver nothing.

Another quality is understanding of place - why ask what's wrong here? Don't you know? Do you have a sense of its past? An area's self defined identity, not the one imposed for government funding purposes, does that figure in your plans? Who do you work for? The Party or the people who voted you in? Blogs and Flickr streams help you understand whether a cllr really knows what bothers people and inspires discussion

Place transformation - how do you see our area in 5 years? 10 years? 20? What are you going to do to get there? Can we learn from other neighbourhoods? Must we always reinvent the wheel? Do you trust the residents to input or will you continue to allow meaningless consultations? What do you understand by partnership? How will you give everyone a voice?

Getting my vote might be quite tough but if you can deliver, I'm worth it :)
Liz you deserve a round of applause from all here. That was the most inspiring post i have ever read. Thanks.
Liz, you're right, of course.

I recognise, and have for some time, that the Labour party in Haringey has been perceived as lacking in vision and aspiration. It's been held back by some of the people under discussion on this site. The party has been taking steps internally to raise expectations of councillors, and candidates, and the selection process was bruising and cathartic but has actually been very positive. A manifesto has been drafted where a lot of us were directly involved and we were both candid about our concerns and really excited about doing new things, under a new leader and with a new chief executive.

It's frustrating to have some of our problem councillors crop up as somebody else's heroes. The party doesn't get the chance to put the opposing view. It's not possible, or fair, to put out a press release saying, 'Brian Haley deselected! Sheik Thompson disciplined! Alan Dobbie not given major portfolio!' when they're still party members. Then when they finally go, we point out that they were disgruntled at their treatment but that this was democratic. The receiving party celebrates in the press (and possibly though clenched teeth.) We clink glasses in the Salisbury because we can stop pretending.

In response to the other piece you wrote on this thread, those people, knocking on doors on the Ladder, may be making mistakes in how they ask people what they want changed, or what's going wrong, but there's a lot of commitment and youthful enthusiasm in your ward and a lot of good ideas. It is a transient community and maybe the people who open the doors do have concerns or suggestions that they haven't been asked for before.
To some extent true re asking questions, but I think we have to be careful how much we push the 'transient' community thing (most of my neighbours have been here a lot longer than me) as this becomes an excuse for some for not planning long term or having an overall vision for an area.

Perhaps, a good idea for canvassers is to find out how long someone has been in the area and tailor conversation accordingly?

I really believe that it is time for all parties to move away from all this 'who did what to whom' stuff. Many people can't name their own cllrs (I couldn't until recently) so aren't interested in people who have clearly had their moment in the spotlight. Yes it grates for those in the middle of it but I'm prepared to bet most voters don't give a **** about it.

The election is creeping up on us and if people want my vote they are going to have talk in positive terms about what can be done for us as a community. Enough of Haley, Dobbie, Thompson et al. Yesterday's men. Site admin is lurking...I can sense them close by.

Start explaining, you prospective new councillors, why we should vote for you. I'm all ears. So far I've spotted Karen, Tim and Nora lurking in the shallows like they are too nervous to get into deep water.

From the 7 others I know of and who could be talking to us, not a peep. Now is the time you 21st century councillors. Come on in, the water's lovely!
Just to be clear, I'm not a prospective councillor. Just a party member and local resident. Justin may describe me as small but powerful. The reverse, sadly, is probably the case.
"We're just a couple of transients so we won't be needing your A&E leaflet" - Mr & Mrs Fox (Wightman Road 1957-2010) this evening as I did my Whittington round.
Councils don't set up, close down or in any way control hospitals. And transient residents need information about local hospital services as soon as they move in, in case they need those services. In a way what you say proves my point. People need to be approached regularly because this is the best way to keep channels open and ensure they understand and have the full picture. Clearly this can take a while in some cases.

Councils have a random and mixed up range of duties and responsibilities. These get progressively extended just as their powers to intervene decrease.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service