Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I wasn't going to say this as I'm loathe to criticise someone's choice of employer for their first job. I did however think it was a bit off that Adam Jogee was working as a researcher for Terrapin Communications. Why did I think this was off? Well, their list of clients included the three firms currently bidding to run a large part of the council'sour land in a 20 year "partnership" deal. I asked around and was told that he was a good boy and was being responsible about it. He's now the Majority Chief Whip.

So then I come across THIS POST on OpinioN8 which is Crouch End's version of HoL. There it states that

Councillor Kober has dined six times at Terrapin's expense, once in Cannes. Detail on the lunches decreases over time.

Councillor Strickland was also at this dinner in Cannes and has dined at Terrapin's expense another four times.

Councillor Jason Arthur - twice, recently, with Peter Bingle and again with another partner, Christian Klapp.

Go see the post on OpinioN8, click on the links. See for yourself. Adam was a just graduated student when he became a Labour councillor, now he's a researcher for perhaps the country's best known Tory lobbyist.

Martin Ball pointed some of this out to us about 18 months ago and we were all a bit meh. Presumably we consider it slightly off to worry about who pays for someone else's lunch. However, Terrapin's client list should give us cause for concern given what is also happening with Hornsey Town Hall. Have we been duped here?

Tags for Forum Posts: corruption, haringey, haringey development vehicle, hornsey town hall, opinion8, terrapin

Views: 6836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Labour will lose more seats than the tories under the current proposals. 

Plus there are about 2 million voters who registered after the December 2015 cut off, and many more unregistered voters mostly in Labour-type areas with a more transient population. The MP still has to look after these people even if they can't vote.

Should have said unregistered residents - non UK citizens, frequent house moves, landlords who don't update register etc.  Surely you've met these when you've been out on the stump?  I was surprised how few dwellings have registered voters in around here, sometimes a whole road with just two or three knockable addresses. But they still make demands on both MPs and other services, as well as paying tax while having no representation.

One suggestion is that voting should be done by NI number, everyone has one of those.

Quite. An MP is (or should be) elected to represent the entire population of their constituency, not just the registered voters. The result of using registered voters rather than population will mean that those constituencies with mainly static populations will have proportionately more influence that those with more transient populations. When most of your time is spent worrying about having a roof over your head, registering to vote probably comes pretty far down your list of priorities.

The people who will pay with poor representation are the ones who did register to vote AND the ones who didn't.

Are you seriously telling me that you don't think that's gerrymandering? When you take it with the Chris Grayling leaked letter last week is it any wonder that people are put off politics?

Here we have a young guy who has always expressed a deep interest and fondness for the politics of the left. "Mr Jogee told the Haringey Independent that he wants to give teenag...". Has he been corrupted by two years in Haringey "politics" or was he always putting it on to get elected?

Thanks for posting that John McMullan. I strongly agree with what Adam Jogee wrote. I completely disagree with the idea that the policies of the the appalling Council leadership he's serving are likely to achieve what Adam himself saw - perhaps still sees - as desirable goals for and on behalf of younger people of his own generation.

I wouldn't use the word "corrupted". I think he's been exposed to a heavy dose of Claire Kober and her pals, who previously accepted the implicit theories and assumptions of Tory ideology and its market worship.
He's surrounded by their payroll vote and hangers-on. Plus the senior officers recruited by the Dear Leader who appear to share the same worldview. Or at least in a world made more uncertain all the time, know who's paying their salaries.

Markets can be amazing things for price discovery and supply/demand problems but what we have in London housing is NOT a market. There is very limited supply. What new supply is coming on I am myself finding impossible to register interest in (those 1,503 homes a year that will be built in Haringey will not be available for sale to current tenanted residents). Around 4,000 two bed and up properties are put on the market a year in Haringey, fewer than 100 of these would be affordable for young Adam, even if he keeps both of his very conflicted jobs. He promised voters something he had no power to deliver on and IMHO, they would have been better off voting libdem. Our local councillors are UNABLE to effect any change in the housing market. They can approve more building and planning but this is NOT going into the housing market, it will NOT appear on Rightmove, it will NOT be available for anyone local to buy.

John McMullan,

Dunno if you've been following latest developments but it seems that someone on OpinioN8 website has gathered some further information on Councillor-who-lunch story.

Googlewhack Haringey, Lend Lease and Property Week for a trend that you can only predict.

Yes. People post there because they're fed up of being deleted by Hugh on here.

Someone called Dave Wightman (brilliant if made up) has found some tweets involving another senior partner (Christian Klapp), Alan Strickland and Adam Jogee talking about a nights out, as far back as the 19th of November 2011!

We have TOTALLY been taken for a ride here by a duplicitous senior council leadership team.

"Deleted by Hugh on here"? Untrue in my own experience, John McMullan.
Some of my own comments have gone because the person who started a discussion thread deleted it. Sometimes Hugh or Liz have closed threads - usually for good reasons. Sometimes I just give up posting on a particular thread because it becomes overloaded by trolls having what they consider fun.

In any case, aren't you forgetting your own very brave, honest and persistent old discussion threads about the vote-rigging in St Ann's ward branch Labour Party? Still there last time I looked. Please give Hugh and Liz credit for sticking to their guns on an important local issue.

You won't find the same determination, persistence and honesty about that episode on any Labour Party website. Nor in the copy correspondence I've seen with those miserable wretches - Labour's apparatchiks.

Incidentally one reason I post elsewhere is because I want as many people as possible to know things. Or at least have the opportunity to look them up and make their own judgement. Whether they agree or disagree with my views.
But there's also another important reason. The digging by "Dave Wightman" - whoever she or he may be - is an example of what can happen when curious people do their own searches and share the results. Obviously it's vital to check and recheck. But in the absence of properly funded local journalism and properly paid and supported local journalists, the possibility of 'citizen reporters' at least lets in some sunshine and fresh air.

Deletions?? Then perhaps it's a sign that you aren't as informed as you should be.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service