Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello, We are currently looking for local nurseries for our son who will be one when he goes....any recommendations????? We live on Fairfax Road. Thanks.

Tags for Forum Posts: local nurseries, local schools

Views: 2010

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks everyone for your comments. Really, really helpful and lovely to hear how well your children are doing in the local nurseries.
Our daughter has been at the Eagle nursery since she was about 10 months old and we have been really pleased with it. The staff are very friendly and all of the children always seem to enjoying themselves which is so important. The location is convenient for where we are on the Ladder and we also found it a lot more affordable than the other options we saw which helps of course!

Hope you find somewhere you like and in the meantime that you enjoy your time at home with the little one :)
I'm only just starting to look into childcare. So I wonder if any of you who are a bit further down the road could help me out.

When it comes to sending your child to a church run nursery, does it matter if you are not religious? Also, i realise that it won't make much difference until children are a bit older, but do they try to impart a 'religious ethos' to the children?

Finally, if you go down the childminder route, what are the sources of information available to help you find a childminder, and do they come under any inspection system that can provides info about the quality of care they offer?

These may seem stupid questions, but like I say, I'm new to all this.
Hi Fred, it really doesn't matter if you are religious or not, or what denomination you are if indeed you are. I believe that religious stories are occasionally told or songs sung at my daughter's nursery, but as part of a varied set of activities and topics and not as a method of indoctrinating our children (well what I have witnessed isn't anyway, and so far she is coming home evangelising!). I am in no way religious by the way.

Re. childminders, go to the Ofsted website (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Inspection-reports/Early-years...) and do a search of your postcode, you will be able to see local childminders and also view their Ofsted report.
Brilliant. Tahnks for your advice
No problem - there is also the government's childcare website (http://childcarefinder.direct.gov.uk/childcarefinder/) which sometimes has more information (e.g. opening times, cost etc.) but you'd have to look up the Ofsted report separately of course.
Little Jewels, although housed in a church hall, is nothing to do with the church, and I think this is often the case. The church is simply leasing out the hall to the people running the nursery. To my way of thinking you should not send children to church schools/nurseries if you are not church-goers. My brother sent my niece to a Catholic primary school despite her mother being a total agnostic, and my niece simply found it very confusing. As for childminders, Haringey Council's Family Information Service Directory (see http://fisd.haringey.gov.uk/kb5/haringey/fisd/home.page) provide basic details on all childminders, but the information on whether they actually have "vacancies" isn't always up to date, and frankly, it's almost impossible to see why one childminder can charge £40 and other £80. What do I get for the extra money? I couldn't work it out. Although I was set on a childminder at first, I changed my mind because you never really know what happens behind the closed doors of a childminder's home. They might put on a good show for your visit, but for all I know could simply park them in front of the telly all day.
A lot of local childminders use the local childrens centres drop in groups at Woodlands, Ladder CC and Stroud Green. It might be worth dropping in them to ask about local vacancies.
In the Ladder CC in Pemberton Road, they have a notice board in the drop in room, I think
I'll echo what Katy and Liz said about Eagle Nursery (which rents space from Harringay United Church but is not itself religious). Our daughter has been there for nearly a year and we've been very happy with it. She loves going there. The staff are very nurturing, and she has learned so much! Thanks to the nursery, she could count to 10, recite her ABCs and list off the days of the week by the time she was 20 months old. Besides having a good staff, it's just a really nice group of kids and parents - really lovely, friendly people. Communication with parents could use some improving, so it helps if you as a parents take the initiative and ask lots of questions and share information about your child. At £38/day it's hard to beat the price!

By the way, the Eagle Nursery sign has not been hanging up in front of the church recently, and I've talked to some area parents who thought that meant it had gone out of business. Definitely not the case at all!
Funny you should say that Kari, my daughter also suddenly started doing all 3 of those things recently (counting, days and ABC's) and I was most impressed. I think that the involvement/volunteering of some of the parents (one of whom I know is a speech therapist) and the new staff have really made a difference - not that it was bad before.
Thanks everyone for your views. I have booked an appointment to see Little Jewels and will be going to see Eagles too. ;-)
Hello,

My only experience has been Woodlands Park nursery and to all effects is a fantastic nursery.
My son Leo has been going for nearly 3 years and I have only positive feedback about it.
I would recommend you to put yourself in the waiting list as soon as you can.

Sorry but it is the only one I know so I can not make any comments about any others.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service