Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

About a year ago (thanks to a project which HoL was taking part in) I began to realise just how important workingmen’s clubs can be in building communities, and therefore how important it is to keep them.

In Harringay, we have our very own club, the Langham at 600 Green Lanes (a couple of hundred metres north of St. Ann’s Road), and now I’ve finally taken the plunge and applied to become a member. It would be a great if others would do the same.

What’s it like?

Well, it’s easy to feel at home there, and they have quite a bit to offer. If you like snooker, there is a very large room with 4 tables (purists will appreciate the challenging small pockets). There are various entertainments at weekends and activities throughout the week. There is a function room which is available to members without charge for parties of up to 200, and members are welcome to bring their children.

Its great virtue is that it provides a place where older people can go out for an evening and feel perfectly safe and comfortable. And yet, it is by no means a ghetto of the elderly. True, a twenty-something would be most unlikely to go there “on the pull”, but it’s a pleasant enough place to start an evening gently before heading off to more serious clubbing.

And it’s nearby and it’s reasonably priced, and the subs are nominal.

Although clearly the long-standing members of the club would not wish to transform it so completely that it no longer resembles the thing which has attracted them over the years, I can say that the committee is certainly open to suggestions for new activities to “breathe new life into the place.” The “Bombay Bicycle Club” band has done filming there, for example.

So, hope to see some of you there.

To find out more, just pop in any evening and ask to speak to a member of the committee. if no-one’s around, then leave a message at the bar.

David Schmitz

Tags for Forum Posts: langham working men's club

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steady on!

True in many ways and there is the All Party Parliamentary Groups for Private members clubs that meet regularly. But you should just enjoy the club and a bit of social life there and I'm sure your example will encourage other people in. Maybe you might like to try the line dancing? Scary stuff though. 

when I finally get my book finished, I am thinking of a local club for the launch. More on that nearer the time. 

Happy clubbing

I have lived in Harringay since 1986. I have never checked out the Langham Club, despite living less than 5 minutes away. Do you have to apply for membership? How do you do it? Is it possible to just turn up and have a drink?

Barrie

That's a shame you have never stopped by!

Do pop in there and ask about membership. Bob Mead is often there, he's the President and is on HoL. You can message him. But really, just pop in and have a drink and you can become a member quite easily. 

More details about the Club can be found on HoL on another thread. Plus I write about it on www.clubhistorians.co.uk under Club Factfiles section. 

It's been on the Tv a couple of times now as I always recommend it for producers of documentaries related to clubs, pubs, etc as a good venue. 

Many thanks for the reply. I will pop in
Barrie

Very pleased to hear that!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service