Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey and Enfield Green Party candidate for the London Assembly, Ronald Stewart, is delighted that on 15 February 2016, Haringey will introduce 20 mph speed limits on almost all roads in residential areas and town centres. Only main roads are still at 30 mph[1].

‘20 mph on residential roads has been Green Party policy for a long time. We are delighted to see local authorities embracing this policy’, says Ronald Stewart, a dedicated cyclist.

The signs showing the new speed limit - with the number 20 still hidden behind a black tape - have been up for some time.

Some of our activists, at times when this has been safe to do, have already tried to stay strictly within this limit. It may feel slow at first, but you soon get used to it. And if you maintain that speed (rather than speeding up and slowing down all the time) you get much better fuel economy which is better for the environment and better for your pocket.

RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents is clear: ‘As well as road safety benefits, it is important to highlight the contribution that 20mph zones can have in encouraging more physical activity, such as walking and cycling, by contributing towards a safer environment. The money spent on the schemes can also greatly improve the character of a residential area and quality of life of the residents.’[2]

So this change in traffic management in Haringey is something that should be welcomed all round. ‘The next thing we need to do is to reduce the number of vehicles on our roads and their emissions. Then we can reduce the number of deaths not just from accidents but also from air pollution’ says Ronald Stewart. This is what Green Assembly Members will work to achieve.

Views: 862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We're going to see a dramatic increase in dangerous overtaking - wrong side of keep left bollards, head-on collisions etc.

It's going to be interesting watching the BMWs proceeding in leisurely fashion along St Ann's Road.

Your pizza is going to arrive cold unless the delivery bikes have a dispensation - oh wait ....

Also going to see an increase in average speed camera use, including the North Circular from Hangar Lane all the way to Bounds Green, and the A2 from the Blackwall Tunnel all the way to Kent (where there's currently a temporary  30  mph average speed section near the South Circular, probably for barrier repair).

There are restrictions on speed camera use and no plans for new ones.

As someone whose main modes of transport are running, walking and taking the bus I welcome the new speed limit. I have seen nasty accidents on zebra crossings around here as well as near misses. I moved here from Camden in late 2014 and compared to there it's terrifying crossing the road here.

Hopefully smoother running of traffic will improve my bus waiting times too!

Has the person responsible for removing the tape from the signs gone away for half term or something?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service