Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Learn a new language free online using your Haringey Libraries membership

As the proverb goes, 'Learn a new language and get a new soul' - now get started in a second, third, fourth, fifth! language using your Haringey Libraries membership (Not a member? It's easy to join).

See below for details on how to brush up your language skills for free.

Transparent Language Online

Start Learning a New LanguageToday!

Transparent Language Online

Have you ever felt like learning a new language? Haringey libraries can help with free online learning for all library members using the Byki Language Learning Software.

Transparent Language Online - explore the languages of the world from your library.

The Transparent Language Online course delivers a series of simple steps to help you memorise words and phrases in a new language. It helps explain the meanings and correct pronunciation of words.

With resources to help you learn any one of 80 languages, the Transparent Language Online system can be accessed from inside or outside the library, via the Windows web-browser on a PC or an Apple Mac. It is also available on smartphones via the free Apple and Android apps.

Users have a variety of learning options that build listening, reading, speaking and writing skills:

• Essentials courses - 33 lessons to get learners started
  • Quick Start - 10 lists of key words and phrases for learners with limited time
  • Pronunciation and Conversation practice - compare with the pronunciation of native speakers.
  • SlowSound technology - slow down speech to hear every nuance
  • BYKI Mobile for iPhone® and Android™ devices - to allow for language learning on the go (Please note that data charges may apply when downloading content for the mobile app. Check with your service provider for details.)

In addition, there is access to an array of online language and cultural resources, such as one-click access to Facebook and Twitter language communities, blogs featuring a collection of articles covering each language and the culture that surrounds it. The system of learning is very user friendly.

Where do I find Transparent Language Online?

How do I get started?

On your first visit choose:

• enter your Haringey library ticket number (with HA and no spaces)

You will need to create a username and password in order to access the site again. Once you have registered, watch the instructions and start learning!

Tags for Forum Posts: free, haringey libraries, language learning

Views: 448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's ok but doesn't hear your voice. Free smartphone download Duolingo in good and easy to use with really good levels which get harder, though you can return to practice your basics. It speaks and listens to your accent too.

Duolingo is indeed v good - I've been testing it this evening as a result of your recommendation - but there are less languages available than the one you can access through the library. The mobile app for the one above is just a basic (but oddly addictive) flashcard method - good for brushing on half- forgotten languages whereas Duolingo seems more comprehensive and has Turkish and Irish as part of its offer as well as the usual holidaymaker suspects Spanish, French, German, Italian :)

I'll keep playing with each of them but both seem to have their strengths so maybe I'll use both to brush up my rusty German :)

Endlich, ich freue mich.

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree with this article. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-the-language-you-spea...

Danke

Yes I read that article and also agree. I am definitely different in the way I behave depending on my language - I can almost feel myself shifting gear as it were when I swap into another language. I have yet to discover my "German" personality!

Fewer !!

*Sigh* I assume the bottle of whiskey and the revolver are waiting for me in the study of the Grammar Society.

Weniger ist immer mehr.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service