Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

http://youtu.be/onKO1VvWv1U  It begins, we painted the town red.

A very wobbly video from 6 a m this morning of Claire Kober's speech to the residue of people at Ally Pally  following what was indeed a triumphant night for Haringey Labour.

Apols for quality, you can hear what she's saying even as it wobbles about, and even as the sound bounces off the distant ceiling and walls. If anyone wants to transcribe it, I will attempt to add captions.

Details of all votes are on this LBH page. 

I hope someone somewhere is adding up all the votes, as I want to know the cross-borough popular vote ie all the totals. I think the Greens may have come second, overall.

Tags for Forum Posts: Kober, election, speech, votes

Views: 1005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the problem, Pam. The role should NOT be seen a job. 

Oh Justin if that was really true then we'd only have wealthy people taking these positions and milking them for all they're worth. At some point we have to realise that councillors work very hard and the ones that work the hardest are basically fighting for their job again every four years. What are the benefits to being a councillor?

1. £10,000 a year. Some councillors are worth this and more, some less.

2. A path up the party hierarchy to contest a seat in a general election.

3. A feeling of power and general wellbeing (although power has to be exercised to give any beneficial feelings).

I wanted to do it because I care about the community in which I live and come from. In short, I am civic minded (you did not mention the latter, which is interesting). I have no interest in becoming an MP. If I were a career-minded politician, I'd move to be a Conservative area. Don't judge everyone by your own thinking.

There are plenty of people who are civic minded and don't want to become councillors. I was at a meeting on Tuesday night full of them. You can say what you like about your motives as they will never be tested, you'll be an old man before the Tories win a seat around here (you can't afford to move to a Tory held area and there would be plenty of wealthy third sons in front of you if you could.

Firstly, all democrats should be lobbying the government of the day for PR in local government. We have too many 'rotten boroughs' and one-party states, including Conservative ones.  Secondly, you really do appear to believe in your own myths. Why do you think Conservative-voting areas are wealthy? Some are--many aren't. Our house - behind Downhills Park - is approaching the £500k mark (bought at £270k five years back). If we sold it, we could probably buy two in parts of Enfield (which has over 20 Tory cllrs). The catch? no tube.

Arnos Grove, Southgate, Oakwood, Cockfosters. Plus rail: Angel Road, Ponders End, Enfield Lock, Brimsdown, Enfield Town, Edmonton, Bush Hill Park, Silver Street, Edmonton Green, Southbury, Turkey Street.  London Overground plan to bring these into their network soon and service will improve.

'Bye.

No, if I move anywhere, I'd go to a Conservative borough. Not going anywhere for a long time, if ever, as I have commitments here: I am a local school governor, worship at St Mary's, Tottenham, and look after several elderly neighbours. Sorry to disappoint you, Pam.

I think he was making the distinction between vocation and occupation

Former St Ann's councillor Brian Haley missed out again as a Lib Dem candidate in Crouch End. It would be interesting to hear his take on political developments over the past four years.

Apparently he's quite litigious so I don't fancy asking him. In fact, I bet even that gets censored.

He didn't even turn up to the count at Ally Pally. That was one Labour gain I didn't mind...

I was waiting for the mention of Education, Health... I'd rather £50 million be spent on these.

Thanks for sharing the clip Pam.

9 months on from the election, I hope we don't end up here again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzxssT-PfHY

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service