Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have recently been witness to a neighbour being quite unfairly evicted from a property they had owned the lease on. I won't go into personal information to much but the person had lived the flat for over 30 years and had no family or friends to turn to for help and no idea of where to go. Due to the circumstances or technicalities of the eviction the council deemed this person as being made intentionally homeless, though they where not interested in the conditions under which this took place and was not offered anything more than a piece of paper with some soup kitchen addresses and told which parks sandwich vans go to! I found that there are only really two organisations in London that deal with getting the homeless off the street and don't want to name them as although what they are doing takes too long, doesn't really work and is not sufficient, they are doing the best they can on limited resources and I don't want to complain about them at all. What I have realised and want to discuss is the lack of shelter and support for such people in the area, off which there are in fact many. I have had some very valuable support and advice from cllr David Schmitz on helping this person which I am eternally thankful for and have discussed this lack with him to some extent. the good cllr has offered to support me in my endeavour to better this situation and it seems that the way forward would be to Convert a property into a short stay hostel offering support services aiding the homeless back into main stream life. I just wanted to put the feelers out there and see if anyone would be interested in this and what help we can get together from the local area and residents. Feel free to ask more as I may not have been clear and any suggestions are welcome.

Tags for Forum Posts: homelessness

Views: 939

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have they tried North London Action for Homelessness in Stoke Newington?

www.nlah.org.uk     

They run a day centre and can refer through to other services.  We do have hostels in the Borough, but don't really have any emergency provision.

You can find a full list of homelessness services in London here: http://www.homelesslondon.org/       

''It seems that the way forward would be to Convert a property into a short stay hostel offering support services aiding the homeless back into main stream life.''    Hi Esat. You've certainly nailed the problem of homelessness there. There are too many empty properties that folk like your friend could live in. But why 'short term' ?

Betty believe me I've exhausted all avenues and it seems that all existing provisions are either full beyond capacity or follow the same very vague guidelines and criteria that the councils follow for housing the homeless which are not great.

James I say short term lightly as I think it's more beneficial to the homeless, the society in large and those behind the project and funding it if the homeless are not simply housed and forgotten but if they are supported and helped back into mainstream life then this will also have the effect of freeing up space to help others, something I've noticed the other services even though they claim to work in this way don't.

I volunteer in a shelter in Islington that sounds quite similar to what you are proposing - if you can get something going I would be happy to help out.  I imagine the people who run the winter shelter at Holy Innocents in Crouch End might be interested in being involved in something like this as well as I know they were trying to expand their activities.

You are right that everywhere I know of is pretty much full.  I'm really worried about what is going to happen to some people with the new benefits and the current difficulty in getting jobs.

Lou, it's great to see there are more people that care out there, it's a shame that this thread hasn't got the attention I had hoped it would, may be I should change the title to building work going ahead without planning permission, campaign to end through traffic on Wightman road or new betting office opening on green lanes as it seems our local community is more interested and worried about these factors rather than other matters that I feel are more important to address.

Esat - You won't do your cause any good by insulting your target audience - I'm beginning to question your motives.

My motives are clear and I'm not insulting anyone though you are free to make any cooments observations or raise any questions you like, especially if you wish to be involved. I was just making an observation of the general priorities that most members of this site seem to hold, it was a light hearted joke. I suppose it was a bad idea as it was always going to offend those who I joked about. Having said that being passionate about a cause and being annoyed at those who have warped priorities is not a crime nor does it raise questioning on my motives as you imply in fact it does the exact opposite.

I'm sorry esat please forgive me. Thank you for showing me the error of my ignorant ways. Your wise guidance has helped me see what a shallow individual i have been. I only wish i could strive to be a more whole person like you. I admire you.

If your not wanting to be of help James, perhaps your sarcasm and unfounded ignorant comments are best placed elsewhere on this site. On the other hand perhaps you should strive to be more like me, a humble person who has compassion and humility three things that you have clearly demonstrated you do not possess. Why is there so many Internet warriors on this forum, it's not a wonder priorities and care is ill placed.

Let's be charitable and say lots of people are probably on holiday ;-)

I'm sure there's lots of people who'd be interested in helping but you probably need to have a more concrete plan before people will commit themselves.

A more concrete plan is something that I wish to raise with those who wish to be involved, by meeting and discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the group and not something that could really be posted on here in any case.

The recent thread about Banksy was viewed 1000 times, the thread about the dog being put down was viewed 1680 times, this thread was viewed 220 times. It does make one wonder what the priorities in life are of the people who read HOL.Property prices perhaps.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service