Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

HARINGEY has been given more than £300,000 to make cycling more appealing for residents.

The Mayor of London Boris Johnson has announced £4 million of funding – shared between 13 boroughs – to improve cycling infrastructure, promote cycling instead of driving, and increase safety for cyclists.

Haringey is one of London's biking boroughs, and receives £320,500 after putting in a bid for funds.

More at Haringey Indy

Tags for Forum Posts: cycling

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hooray!! Adam i know you'll have some splendid ideas on how to spend it.
I'm told that £320,500 will just be sufficient to transform the remaining half of our Wightman Road footways into two continuous cycle lanes. I saw Cllr Canver measuring up the eastern pavement the other day. We pedestrians may prepare to take to our beds: our current pavement perambulations are sufficiently precarious.

My first response:

Don't waste it on cycle lanes that are less than the Government recommended minimum of 1.5metres wide (they create danger). Likewise no more cycle lanes that are right alongside parked cars.

Perhaps the priority could be to fill in potholes properly (uneven terrain does not encourage cyclists). Secondly, where there are speed humps (the ones with flat tracks for cyclists to avoid the hump); paint double yellow lines alongside them to keep cyclists clear from car doors opening.

I'll think some more today about how else to spend this money; is there a consultation or somewhere we can post suggestions to?

New research supported by UK cyclists' organisation CTC suggests that motorists give cyclists in cycle lanes less room than those riding on roads without lanes. 

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/drivers-give-less-space-to-ri...

Was just wondering -- what did this £320K get used for in the end.

I guess I came late to the party, but it seems a shame that the Green Lanes re-construction didn't involved fitting in dedicated, separate Dutch-style cycle lanes -- it would have been a great addition to changes that are already underway in London for cycling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2s6ax_7TM&list=UUVXuW-BoZJVYo...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service