Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just heard that Haringey have been awarded a £100K road safety grant to make changes on Wightman Road. This is part of the £3.8 million given to Haringey from Transport for London. I don't have anymore details of the Wightman scheme, but have requested them from the Highway Dept. The full list is attached

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, tfl, traffic, wightman traffic calming

Views: 159

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

O my goodness, what fantastic news (two bits of good news on this site in one day, be still my heart!).

Look forward to hearing what their plans are - hope cycling and pedestrians feature somewhere..
Thanks for this Adam. Strange we'd had no hint of this till now.
LBH have put bids in for Wightman in previous years but were not successful. The way the process works every Borough puts in a wish list of what they want to spend money on and then this list is reduced down depending on priorities and budgets etc.
Adam...I can't get that link to open...do you know what kind of file it is?
try now, it should work
Excellent...much thanks
I see there's also £100k for "Link 83 Green Lanes". Any idea what that is Adam? Cycle lane? Walking route?
this is part of the London Cycle Network I will find out exactly what the plans are for this and get back to you.
Do you think it's possible to push for official but unmarked contra-flows on the ladder for bicycles? I begin my morning as a criminal each day when I cycle the wrong way down to the passage and then through to Frobisher. It's pointless picking one one street and painting a green strip down it to make a cycle link between Wightman Rd and Green Lanes.
For 100K we could employ someone for 4 years to take pictures of reckless driving on Wightman Rd and post it on the internets without the licence plates obscured!
we should push for this. they are doing this near Tottenham Hale i think

for £30K we could get one of these!
£100K from Turnpike Lane to Endymion will be spread ridiculously thinly. It's peanuts which will make no noticeable contribution to Wightman's "local safety". What the WRN4RA has been pushing for for at least three years is real improvement, to benefit residents but also other pedestrian users including schoolchildren and people on their way to church or mosque, and (if possible) cyclists.

The sort of tinkering that £100K will produce will be another joke - allowing our masters/servants to postpone doing anything to solve the real problems of WR for another decade.
Take the pavements/footways of WRN4 - in fact from Effingham to Endymion. That's a real issue of "local safety". It's not just a matter of spreading a strip of tarmac. How far will £100K stretch in redoing those pavements properly?
Look at the cracked road surface on the slope from Duckett to Warham junctions. £100K won't do that.
£100K will not even patch up the dangers from the Railway Bridge along the Jewson no-man's-land strip towards the lights at Burgoyne.

Be real and reasonable. £100K wouldn't even repair or 'greenify' the house I live in.

Right - elephant in the room time, AGAIN (Yawn!) The real dangers of Wightman Road spring from traffic speeding up at the junctions with the adjacent one-way 20mph Zone, skirting around "traffic islands" onto a nominally 30mph(=40-60mph) narrow, winding, rising & dipping two-way carriageway. £100K won't even begin to treat that as a "local safety" issue.
Once again: a whole-Ladder 20mph Zone is what we should be pursuing, with appropriate controlled crossing(s) especially for the young, the old, the halt, the lame, the mums or dads with push cars . . . .

For the past 15 months I've tried to represent the priorities of my WRN4 neighbours to our Environment Cabinet Member (at least he is till next Tuesday evening), to Frontline, to Neighbourhood Management through 'Making the Difference' bids, and to anyone who might listen. WRN4RA will continue to push for our priorities. An alliance with other WR users (?"Friends of Wightman Road"?) would certainly strengthen our hand in the run up to the February Area Assembly to be held yards from Wightman Road, and the March Special themed Area Assembly on Traffic & Transport.

And when we've achieved these basic improvements to the carriageway and the footways (for a helluva lot more than £100bloodyK), we might be able to think of beautyfying Wightman Road, making it a welcoming sort of place to visit, drive through or walk along, with a genuinely green strip along the Jewson monstrosity to soften all that hard, garish shed-like structure (the North Circular effect). When we've got that done (for another few million) we might be in a position to encourage residents to have a bit more care with their house fronts, walls, fencing, hedges and all our hard surfaces.

He's a raving loony, sez you. He knew what Wightman Road was before he moved in between the railway and the rat-run. He couldn't afford the really desirable Ladder Slopes. So he wants to pretend its RESIDENTIAL.

You may be right on all counts. But £100effingK to work miracles? Don't make me laugh.
Surely the priority is to slow the traffic down to 20mph. Can that be done for 100k?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service