Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Calling all runners / wanna-be runners!

Anyone here up for running a marathon? 10 weeks' time, Saturday 20 December. You don’t have to have run one before, you don’t even have had to have done much running before – 10 weeks is long enough to sort that out. It is not a macho thing, definitely not competitive, and everyone is welcome.

The route we will run is absolutely brilliant, linking together most of the major green and blue spaces of North and Central London. Ready? Here we go:

Starts Finsbury Park, heads up the Parkland Walk to Highgate, through to Hampstead Heath, past Kenwood House (in a movie moment), over to the top of Parliament Hill, great view of the city, down and over the railway track, through Chalk Farm, over Primrose Hill, another great view of the city, through Regent’s Park, past the boating lake, down Baker Street, through Bayswater, posh, posh, posh, through Hyde Park along the Serpentine (dip in the Lido anyone?), Hyde Park Corner, Green Park, Buckingham Palace, St James’ Park, Big Ben, Westminster Bridge, South Bank past London Eye, RFH, Oxo Tower, Tate Modern, Golden Hind, HMS Whatever, all the way to Tower Bridge, back north, Wapping to Limehouse, up The Cut, River Lea, through the Olympic Park, round the stadium, keep going north, Springfield Park, through Hackney, Clissold Park, the New River, Finsbury Park, we did it!

It is such an incredible route, it is worth joining us just to see London in this way on a cold and crisp December morning (forecast is for no rain). We will meet no one but a couple of dog walkers for the first half, then a few hardy tourists as we pass the Xmas markets on the river.

To be clear, this is no organised event. It will just be us. No crowds, no sponsors, no motorcade, no water points, and definitely, definitely no fancy dress. You’ll need a small rucksack with the route map, water, a banana or two and an Oyster card. Think Dunwich Dynamo before it got big.

How you run it is up to you – it could be with friends all the way, or leave as a group but go at your own pace. It might be nice to time it all so that we arrive pretty much the same time, and I’m sure we could sort out a massive plate of mince pies at the finish line. All to be sorted out nearer the time.

Some people have already signed up to running the first third, or first half, so if that's your bag then jump in too. 

It really is possible to get ready for this in 10 weeks, even if you have never considered doing it before now. And it would be an amazing way to go into the Xmas holidays. So if you like the sound of doing a real London marathon, with some really nice people, then definitely go for it.

You can be part of this by emailing me: sammyraph@gmail.com

Also, please pass onto anyone you know who you think might want to give it a go. The more the merrier.

A link to a map of the route is below (it is slightly different from that which we will run, because it starts/stops in N15 rather than Finsbury Park – but you get the idea).

Let me know!

Sam.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Woodlands+Park+Rd&daddr=51....

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, marathon, running

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

10 weeks is...ouch. It took me at least that long to train for a decent 10k time. Most people I know running half marathons are doing at 12 weeks training but perhaps we're all just wusses. 

Anyone know if this is happening again this year?

Couldn't make it last year due to work commitments...

Hi Adam
Yeah, I was planning to do it again - Sat 19 Dec. Was injured earlier in the year, so just getting back into it. It really is a great route, would be super happy to have company, although it may be just us two! Give me a shout if you're interested: sammyraph@gmail.com

Anyone else - get involved - it's wicked. (Joe W, I seem to remember you were excited about the idea?)

Sam.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service