Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's bye bye bridge banners as Harringay wins £1.8 million for Green Lanes in new fund bid

Hard on the heels of the successful bid for Round 1 of the Outer London Fund, it has just been announced that Harringay has won £1.77million from the Round 2 bid submitted last year.

The bid was submitted by the Green Lanes Strategy Group with the drive and vision coming in particular from Rob Chau of the Harringay Traders' Association.

The Harringay project was also singled out for particular mention this morning by Boris Johnson when he announced the bid.

The £1.77m will be augmented to almost £2.1m with matched funding coming from local traders. The project focuses on three key elements, most of which echo many sentiments expressed here on HoL

1. Create a new gateway for Harringay - a total revamp of the bridge. Gone will be the banners and the tat and in it's place a stylish entrance to our hood. LED panels and a showcase for local artists will be part of the approach.

2. Improve the public realm at street level - this will focus on a 'mini town square' approach - improving all the junctions that lead on to Green Lanes with better trees, building up the side road headers to pavement level and adding benches. Power points will also be added to allow the development of a street market culture.

3. Improving shop fronts -  a limited number of shop fronts will be replaced with quality wooden ones, echoing a more traditional feel. Initial funding will limit the number to 35, but it is hoped that these will pioneer improvements elsewhere. Individual traders will add 20% of the cost themselves 

More details on the bid soon. In the meantime some pictures for you to conjour up your imaginations:

Rob summarised his exhilaration with a measured statement of purpose, "The festival has shown just how vibrant our high street can be. We want to help guarantee our competitiveness against other high streets. We just haven't had the funds to do it till now. This is the biggest amount of funding we've seen for thirty years"

Once the dust has settled, a series of consultation events will be held to provide local people with an opportunity for direct input into exactly how the funds will be spent.

You can catch a little on the Mayor's announcement on the BBC news this evening. They're supposed to be coming to Harringay for a few shots and quick interviews.

More soon, I'm sure. In the meantime, well done to Rob and the bid team! Great news for the hood.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay banner, harringay bridge, harringay regeneration 2012-13, outer london fund

Views: 7892

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is excellent news, congrats you guys!

Brilliant. Well done to all involved.

This is Fantastic news. well done all! Although it will be a real shame to see the banners go

West Green Road, oh yes indeed, that could really do with some TLC.

HERE HERE !! Was just thinking the same thing. Feeling a bit jelous of all the attention and funds going into the lovely green lanes area while West Green Road et al could do with a few quid for a start...!

it could look like this I suppose if we lost all the traffic ;)

I think pedestrians ought to have some kind of priority in these kind of busy shopping streets - not to meander all over the road, but just that cars should automatically give way when someone wants to cross. Or they could bring down the speed limit to 10 or 15 mph, as it is in parks.

Isn't there some Dutch scheme where the street belongs to everyone and we all have to be respectful and give each other space? I'm sure I saw it on HoL a few years back.

I think if you reduced the speed limit to 10mph and put decent sized rumble strips every ten metres or so it would discourage quite a lot of traffic from using Green Lanes... hmm, you might be onto something there!

Displacement could be a problem.

Yes, no doubt. I'll revert back to my reflex answer that displacement must be into buses, trams, trains, tubes / onto bikes, foot, a process which will require substantial stick as well as carrot!

Well it might just slow everything down, which would make for a better environment.

Indeed. I think we could all benefit from a substantial slowing down of the daily madness.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service