Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

While Anthony Pepe's agent may be whistling in the dark or pissing against the prevailing wind on Twitter, HANE's garish yellow & black has infested the Ladder roads up our way. Yes, I know, they're not selling houses directly - they're supposedly selling the SHS Summer Fair. A very good cause, as most of us agreed in a Paul Simon discussion two or three years ago. But at least the Paul Simon signs were three-quarters 'devoted' to the School Fair, one-quarter to Paul Simon. The HANE placards seem to be larger, with 70-75% of their area promoting HANE in huge black-on-yellow upper-case, while SHS's Summer Fair is squeezed into the top quarter in lettering so miniscule you can't read it from beyond five metres. With seven of these signs festooning the upper third of Duckett Road (that awful yellow makes Ryanair livery a paragon of aesthetic beauty), I trust HANE have already donated a minimum of £10,000 to the Cause.

Tags for Forum Posts: estate agents signs, hane, school summer fair signs

Views: 599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

one of those signs on Duckett Road is mine and the others belong to parents with children at South Harringay who have chosen to support the school. Sorry if this offends your eyes as you walk down duckett road.

I'm helping to organise the summer fair and the initial planning meeting no one raised any objections to estate agency boards being a source of fund raising. 

But then its always the same small group of parents who actually do anything and volunteer. Instead of 'moaning at the person responsible' maybe some of you could volunteer to help? There's a list in the nursery, infants and juniors so pop your names on there and do something constructive. 

Any money raised is used to pay for things like the recent trip to the Transport Museum which benefits all the children. 

I honestly thought HOL members would be more supportive of this. 

Yes, Karin, some of us are trying to be modestly practically supportive - but not at any cost.

I know the person responsible, I wasn't really moaning, just having a gentle dig.

"I honestly thought HOL members would be more supportive of this". Ha ha ha.

OAE, as I'm sure you know, the PSA isn't just about fundraising; one of our objectives is to encourage greater parental involvment in schools and this is one way of doing it.

We ran a competition for the children to design a poster for our Summer Fair and this artwork will also be used for the estate agents boards.

I'd like to think your idea would work. A few days ago Hol Admin linked to an article in the local newspaper as the Deputy Head of NHP is taking part in an ultra marathon and is trying to raise money for our school (in fact he is running the marathon as I type). I replied that I have a spare form if anyone would like to sponsor Mr. Maree. I have not yet had a single response...

I believe the reason South Harringay went with Hane is that another estate agent was going to provide boards with childrens artwork but their head office decided they needed to focus their advertising on another borough all very last minute.

So Hane stepped in to cover the shortfall.

The signs are only up for around a month then they'll be gone. The school and its pupils will get the benefit of £1200 extra cash.

Another example to give you: the PSA paid for Nick Butterworth (childrens author) to come and talk to the children about his books, reading, writing, the importance of learning etc etc.

Surely this is a good thing? Surely you can put up with some yellow signs for things like this?

I'll be sure to start a thread asking for donations in lieu of boards if South Harringay decides to have a Christmas fair and see how many pledges of cash we get. If Angela's post is anything to go by I wont get my hopes up.

Angela if you can find a link to post I might sponsor him.
Thanks but I meant to a justgiving site or something like that. All my charity is done by direct debit or debit cards on websites. That way I have an excuse when a homeless person looks me in the eye.

Karin/Angela, I'm very supportive of it. I bet if you did a poll you'd find most of us were. All too often we stay silent and let the grumpy ones rule the roost. So I'm chipping in to let you know that you have plenty of support beyond the parent group.

Do I like estate agents' boards all over the shop? No I don't. I don't like paying taxes either, but I'm prepared to do both for the greater good. So, let's see this as a bit of visual pollution taxation for the general commonweal.

Good luck Karin! And thanks Jeremy.

It seems to have been forgotten that OAE's original post was aimed, not against the principle of Estate Agents' sponsorship, but against the design of these particularly hideous boards. At least the boards in previous years were attractive and overtly advertised the Fair, not the Estate Agent. Did Karin's planning group check the Hane design before giving the go-ahead ?

Given the proportions devoted to the useful information, and to the advertisement for Hane, the text should read " South Harringay School - proud sponsors of Hane Estate Agents ".

I think the clues in Karin's post are

"'very last minute" and "so Hane stepped in to cover the shortfall".

Also, if NHP's 'planning group' is anything to go by then I imagine Karin's 'planning group' consists of a grand total of one or 2 people who have to make an on the spot decision.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service