Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

While Anthony Pepe's agent may be whistling in the dark or pissing against the prevailing wind on Twitter, HANE's garish yellow & black has infested the Ladder roads up our way. Yes, I know, they're not selling houses directly - they're supposedly selling the SHS Summer Fair. A very good cause, as most of us agreed in a Paul Simon discussion two or three years ago. But at least the Paul Simon signs were three-quarters 'devoted' to the School Fair, one-quarter to Paul Simon. The HANE placards seem to be larger, with 70-75% of their area promoting HANE in huge black-on-yellow upper-case, while SHS's Summer Fair is squeezed into the top quarter in lettering so miniscule you can't read it from beyond five metres. With seven of these signs festooning the upper third of Duckett Road (that awful yellow makes Ryanair livery a paragon of aesthetic beauty), I trust HANE have already donated a minimum of £10,000 to the Cause.

Tags for Forum Posts: estate agents signs, hane, school summer fair signs

Views: 599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The "very last minute" defence just doesn't hold water. Mine was put up more than a MONTH before the fair. Last time it was two weeks before.

Many thanks, John D, for coming so vividly to my aid. Praise the Lord for the enduring effects of a sound Scottish education which obviously laid admirable foundations of both literacy and aesthetic appreciation or (faced with such hideous HANEity) aesthetic revulsion. Others seem to have succumbed to the HANaesthetic of £1200 in return for suspending their critical faculty "just for a month/six weeks", "just once a year", "just for a handful of silver", "just for the kiddies". 

If any are in doubt about the in-your-face effect of that sign, take a walk up Duckett Road, the upper 100 metres of it leading to Wightman. Drivers turning off Wightman will register HANE + phone number + web address - nothing else. If they miss the first one they'll have six more within a few seconds.  What John D has caught is the pedestrian toddler's worm-eye view of the Mighty HANE Giant, two-storeys high, matching the lamp posts. Very fitting that the toddler HANE is exploiting will carry away the HANE imprint with a memorable row of random digits while the name of his school is away above his head.  Karin, whatever the truth of HANE stepping in as the White Black & Yellow Knight at the last moment, your SHIS Fair committee should have been in the driving seat with an input of Children's art and "Hane" in a small corner, minus the contact nos and addresses.  This is a retrograde approach to EA sponsorship - especially in view of better approaches by both SHS and NHS in the past year or so , and in view of the fact that Green Lanes estate agents are in no position to call the shots.

To return to 'the post wot I wrote', John D read it aright. No, I'm not a grump or a curmudgeon, nor do I have a particularly jaundiced view of the world or of Ladder school summer fairs - except when HANE is permitted (by parents and teachers who ought to know better) to force their jaundiced view upon me.  The SHIS committee's abject surrender to HANE this year has absolutely nothing to recommend it. Every Ladder resident, including those whose front walls are sporting  this arrogant pollution sample, should be saying so loud and clear with 2012 in mind - while of course contributing to both Ladder Summer Fairs this year. If you don't object strongly, you have forfeited your right to complain ever again about litter, flytipping or dogturds in the Passage or hardworking Veolia street cleaners parking their purple bags temporarily by the corner of your road. After all none of these other eyesores ever lie around for "just a month or six weeks".

I too have a Scottish education.  Lucky me.

Your "The SHIS committee's abject surrender to HANE this year has absolutely nothing to recommend it" comment is uncalled for.

Whether you agree with the boards or not there is no call to insult the hard work of the PSA, especially on a community forum like HOL.

I have outlined why Hane was chosen in my previous post.  I am sure that next year, if estate agency sponsorship is something the PSA decides to approve there will be more time to run a competition to design a different board. 

Without Hane's money the fair couldn't run. It has to be affordable to all parents and children who come along on the day. It's not a case of 'a handful of silver', its making sure the whole school is involved.

OAE (Eddie), may I have a wee drop of that Jameson's whiskey me thinks you've been supping on this evening. That's quite a diatribe you've produced there. Best you sleep on it and maybe modify your approach in the cold light of day tomorrow. :)

As should be obvious to you, local schools rely on the estate boards income to make the fair affordable to the whole parent community, most who can't afford a charge at the gate and to raise their largest amount of funds in the school year for school activites & equipment for the pupils. It's as simple as that. Whinging from outsiders not necessary Eddie. You know that.

Matt:

No stereotypical whiskey, no whinging, no diatribe, nothing to modify, no need to sleep on it, nothing for the cold light of day to change. Above all, I reject the outsider libel label.

If similar opinions to mine can give next year's SHIS committee some pause for thought in choosing a better sponsor with a more appropriate signboard, then all will be well.

Meanwhile I'm sure the NHS 2011 board will surpass even last year's bouncy castle, with the sponsor's signature confined within an even smaller corner than Keatons'.

I missed Angela's post about your Deputy Head's South African Marathon as I was in Dublin last weekend celebrating Sierra Leone's 50th Independence anniversary. I'm sure Marathon Man has earned something from me in addition to the £50 I promised for the Summer Fair. And despite their unpardonable visual pollution of the South Ladder streets, I'm sure SHIS could make good use of a similar offering.  

Why do you address Matt's post and ignore mine then?

I've explained the reasoning behind Hane several times now!!!

We needed the money and time was short. Can you not even emphasise with this dilemma even a little tiny bit then?

You have no right to attack the PSA in this way. 

If the boards are different next year it will be to do with time and volunteers. Nasty little online rants will have nothing to do with it.

Eddie, yes if you'd like (and anyone else) to repeat your generosity of last year by dropping a cheque off to the school office after half term that would be much appreciated. Cheques can made out to 'North Harringay Primary PSA'. Thank you!

Karin, you are the one ranting. How can anyone have an argument with you when you say things like "You have no right to attack the PSA in this way" and "Whether you agree with the boards or not there is no call to insult the hard work of the PSA, especially on a community forum like HOL"?

The boards are very ugly. It is dubious that they advertise the school fair to anyone other than a pedestrian. The good intentions of the PSA do not absolve it from criticism. Have you taken a look at the bit of Duckett's Rd that OAE is talking about? He has a very good point!

I live on duckett road and there are 5 boards up on my side. All parents, all proud to support the school. Had a chat with a few today about the boards. All are saddened by the attitudes on here. 

The views of a few HoL users are not neccessarily the views of the majority.

It's also worth bearing in mind that by having this open conversation I hope it will help people think through their attitudes to the signs and understand the ins and outs of it all.

This has been an annual discussion on here and many people contribute well thought out and mature arguments. This year, in particular, I think the PSA did a bad job of the boards and are pulling out the same old "think of the children" arguments. I think they, and hence we, have been well and truly screwed by Hane this time.

Mainly, Karin, because you had made your case and I had made mine - and it was near the midnight hour.

As for empathising with your (i.e the PSA's) dilemma, I believe that's just what I was doing in my last sentence in replying to Matt. If you wish to accept the offer as Matt has just done on NHS's behalf, just let me (and the rest of HOL members) know to whom a cheque may be made out.

If you wish to see my perfectly justifiable reaction to Hane's pollution as a 'nasty little online rant' or an attack on the PSA, well there's nothing for me to add other than to repeat that there must be better ways of Summer Fair fundraising, even for school committees who favour the Estate Agents signboard approach.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service