Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello everyone

I’d like to introduce myself – I’m Marika Gauci and I will be running the new Chestnuts Market held at Chestnuts Primary School. N15.  Launch date is Sunday March 15th, which is Mothers Day,  then every Sunday. 11am – 3pm.

A brief background: I previously worked in the music business: performing, recording, song-writing and event management for many years before trading up for the glorious food industry! 

Inspired by visits to the legendary Borough Market, I started assisting in cookery schools, trained and worked as a professional chef, organized many pop ups and catered for films. In 2009 I started my own small cookery school www.marikas-kitchen.com where my pie classes in particular took off, and to this day, I run large Pie making workshops in the City. In collaboration with www.school-of-booze.com we run Pie Making/Beer Tasting classes for parties and corporate events. I am also a published author of a cookery book – The Little Book Of Pies (Square Peg) and have appeared on television and radio including the Good Food Network and BBC London.

As a Green Lanes resident for 17 years now, I deeply love the area and passionately believe in contributing to the continued improvement of the locality in any way I can: I covered management of the previous Harringay Market for 6 weeks and also supply our www.harringaylocalstore.co.uk with fresh hot pies three times a week.

I believe the location www.chestnutsprimary.com is perfect for a local market as we are a short walk from the High Street, are on two main roads and opposite is Chestnuts park –the park café is not open Sundays, so think of those sunny days where you can get scrumptious treats and drinks for your picnic.  The area incorporates Tottenham, Haringey and Harringay.  The School has kindly aloud us all to use the front playgrounds, so lots of playing for the children whilst parents and friends relax on the plentiful seating and shaded areas.

I hope I qualify running this new market for our area, I have lots of plans and excited to share with you.  I am lucky to have some really amazing local friends who are helping me (Martha, Emily, Helen, Cara, Jorja, Georgina and Clive) Thanks guys!

I have secured some wonderful producers and food stalls already – but we are always looking for more, please do get in touch ASAP if you would like to join the fun or have any suggestions.

Chestnuts_market@hotmail.com

@ChestnutsMarket

www.facebook.com/ChestnutsMarket

Will keep you all informed – Bye for now.

Marika

Tags for Forum Posts: Chestnuts, Haringey, Market, Sunday, food, in, market

Views: 5872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hmm, no hoppers on their online menu. http://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-flavourofindia-n15/menu#cat1

But is there somewhere on Turnpike Lane?

The character of a market depends on the people who shop there and the people who bring stuff to sell. If you go along it will be your market. If you don't like the stalls, get the sellers you like to go along.

Slagging off and sneering at the "  white middle class " does no good at all and only serves to widen the divisions between peoples. What are you doing to build relationships and make the connections?

" richer people are putting their marker down on a neighbourhood."

Do you want our neighbourhood to stay poor and deprived ( if that's what you think it is ) ?

The character of the market does not depend on 'the people who shop there ' it is almost entirely up to the person that books the stalls.

Shilps is right in saying that unless you make a concerted effort , you create a space only accesible to those with power/influence - ie prodimnantly white middle class.

Hipster coffee shops and expensive farmers markets are the visible signs of gentrification.

What's even more saddening is outrages house and rent prices - plus haringeys cuts and enforcing housing benefit rent caps.

Put it all together and you lose whats great about London - diversity!

I really don't want to weigh in on this, but what isn't multicultural about the market and its produce? There were quite a few parts of the globe represented in the spread of food and the produce was high quality and adds to the diverse range you get around the corner on the lanes. If you are picking at the attendees, then I think that's mean spirited and disenfranchises those of us who have lived here for years, appreciate what Harringay has to offer, but want something different for our Sunday lunch.

Also if it's really not "representative" please assist to make it more so. I can't imagine that the organiser would turn you away.

If you have an area that is not gentrified and you introduce some gentrification, surely that increases the diversity, rather than reducing it?

Hi Osbawn - Thanks for popping down.  i am working on this, just starting out and i'm sure the market will evolve, just need to find a balance - however I wont scrimp on quality - also have to bare in mind that these traders use the best produce available to them, they also have lots of overheads.  So far lots of start ups have approached me and are put off by the Health and safety certificate, public liability and registering with Haringey council before they appear at the market.  

I am up for listening and thanks for your feedback. x marika

I have to agree with Shipps and Jonathon, the points you've made have been raised before on threads about the Tottenham Market. What worries me is the faux diversity of these markets. Furthermore, what ensures that they are white middle class domains are that the goods on offer are unaffordable to many Haringey residents.

I'd like to think that both you and Jonathan had the grace and good sense to understand that whether or not the market is perfect in your eyes, it brings life and vibrance where before there was none.

Marika has made it clear that she welcomes all comers. She's set up the market and is no doubt working hard to make it succeed. Irrespective of any profit motive involved (and I don't know whether there is any or not) I think Marika is doing her bit. It's now up to people like you, Jonathan and Shilps to do your bit and source these 'diverse' stalls you'd like to see on the market. If you can come back and tell me that you've introduced stallholders to Marika and that all the 'diverse' ones have been turned down, then I might feel you have legitimate cause for complaint. Until then, it would seem to me to be a much more community focussed stance for you all to take to support the market as it is.

thanks Hugh - there is lots of room available at the market - We could do with at least 4 more produce stalls, yes help finding new stalls would be wonderful. I'm about to put another shout out on HOL for this... I understand I cant make everyone happy, have to find a balance - give me a blinking chance.  xx

Fully agree Hugh.

If a burger with meat in costs £1, something involved in its production has been ill-treated.  Definitely the animals, and probably the humans who process the other ingredients.  High welfare food costs more. If those who can afford to pay more do so - and their class and race are as diverse as in any population - then the animals and humans benefit. Do you disagree with this?   

No, Pam..

you tell no lies :-)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service