Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Not only is this offensive and condescending to women, but offensive and discriminatory against men. I spoke to someone who said he was in charge at the shop and was basically laughed at.

Please can every man who reads this ring them and apply for the job? There's also solicitors a few doors up who will help you sue them.

In all seriousness though, this and the leering and catcalling on the Harringay part of Green Lanes must make it the most sexist street in Britain. It's 2015, about time this was stamped out for good.

Views: 7230

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem is because they asked for female staff? I am pretty certain that is not illegal. Really not trolling but are you looking to become a waitress? 

Oh ok I see...

Sometimes they take it further and will only accept applications from Mermaids:

This has gone too far - I haven't been this outraged since this morning.

I've seen a few of these adverts on West Green Road too. The thing which struck me is that the 'women only' advert requests were all in cafes or clubs/bars & when I walk past, the customers are always predominantly men. I haven't seen any 'women only' requests in local launderettes, butchers/fishmongers or travel agents for example. The context of the type of business where these adverts are is relevant too. 

I know, some of those clubs look well unappealing. Bunch of old dudes sitting round with a young girl serving drinks - weird as hell.

And often there is a dress code for the wateriests… short skirts de rigeur. Why don't some of you guys go and confront them and say you really want to be a waiter and it's breaking the law to be gender specific like this? Would be an interesting experiment. 

Back in the bad old days, people used to put up signs saying 'no Irish, blacks and dogs' for rooms to rent etc. 

The laws were brought in to prevent that happening and to gradually shift ways are thinking, bring about a culture shift towards equality of opportunity AND respect. What is happening now indicates we are going backwards not forwards. It's very depressing indeed. 

It would be interesting but I really don't want to go into those places - kinda see the same thing in kebab shops too (but the food is so delicious). 

I see what yo mean about the signs from back in the day...you are right now I come to think about it.

I'm happy we are having this discussion, best to get things out there rather than bottling up and not expressing views which leads to more misunderstandings etc. etc. 

I'm happy that you are happy : )

Sorry if i came across as a bit rude before.

no worries because we all let off a bit of steam here anyway.

Plenty of clubs and bars advertising "ladies nights" accompanied by a picture of a busty woman - very offputting!  If they really want to appeal to women, try a picture of Michael Fassbender...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service