Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I'm enjoying the Magpies darting from Silver Birch to Silver Birch

The thing I love about going back to Australia is hearing the magpies gargle loud in the morning, the Australian Magpie is a a much larger crow size bird, (Gymnorhina tibicen.)

But this winter I've enjoyed watching the Common magpie (Pica pica) darting down our road in the strong, near horizontal winds we've been experiencing.

In the spring, large numbers of Magpies often gather to resolve territorial conflicts and social standing. These gatherings, are called 'parliaments,' like the sound of that!

One for sorrow, two for joy
One for sorrow, two for mirth,
Three for a girl, four for a boy,
Three for a wedding, four for a birth,
Five for silver, six for gold,
Five for the future, not be sold,
Seven for a secret not to be told,
Seven for a secret, never to be told,
Eight for heaven, nine for hell,
Eight for a wish, nine for a kiss,
And ten for the devil his own self,
Ten for a bird that's best to miss.

I'd miss either or both...

Views: 256

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always understood it was a  Parliament  of owls. I found a  " Conventicle " of Magpies. I guess both names are so weird that you can pick the one you like best although I tend to go for " flock " 

Why do we have such a variety of collectives for different birds ? And why is there a collective for owls, which I've always thought of as rather solitary ?

It's rather like the hundreds of abstruse terms for phobias - invented solely to provide material for pub quizmasters  ( Fear of quizmasters - Paxophobia )

Perhaps it started out as 'Parliament of Fowls' (Chaucer) and got knocked about a bit over seven centuries.  

That's a nice suggestion Gordon. Thanks.

( I'm beginning to think that Paxophobia may be an illogical fear of artificial breadcrumbs )

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service