Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Got any tales you'd care to share about how one of your councillors has really impressed you? And to make sure we're not accused of lack of balance we'd also like to get any stories of how a councillor might have disappointed you.

Tags for Forum Posts: 2010 local elections, Wightman Road

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Noted Councillor Adamou. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I'm sorry but it goes with the territory, the organisation I work for gets criticised all the time by residents in South Kilburn. We are officers who get paid by the council. You have to constantly prove yourself and your worth, even with difficult residents. To complain is far too easy. Direct action and engagement even at the smallest meeting is key.
I am pleased to note that I have a letter stating that Warham Road has been selected for resurfacing because of its potholes. I sincerely hope that the same generosity of spirit that saw beautiful new paving being put down the length of Effingham road will be extended to Warham and our patchwork of pitted and cracking tarmac will be replaced in the same way. This will complement nicely the planters for our community gardening that we have been promised by neighbourhood management, thanks to the initial help of Cllr Karen Alexander.
Liz you can ask John Mc Queen at the Council if your footpaths have been "selected" for the improvment. There are no such potholes on Lothair Road South yet their nicely paved footpaths are getting improvment. I have applied for a FOI from the council to see whether there has been some bias towards what pavements were improved in harringay and can report back.
That's a good idea, Colin.

I'd like to know what qualifies a road for brand new paving in the style now sported by Effingham. There was 'pavement improvement' on Burgoyne recently, more badly laid tarmac as far as I could see.
Just for completeness if others are not aware - here is a previous post where I included communication from John McQueen on "bitumac treatment for all residental roads"

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/wightmanalroy-traffic-c...
Ah I see, It is Haringey
Councils policy to use bitmac on all residential footways within the borough
except for certain circumstances such as conservation areas and town centres
where concrete, natural stone slabs and yorkstone may be used.
Doh! I forgot, of course it was announced at the last Area Assembly that henceforth this road would be known as The Effingham Mayoral High Road and that a conservation area was to be created there. If you'd all been there, you'd have known that. Silly me.

Wonder if anyone in Noel Park Conservation area is wondering where their new paving slabs went.
"The Effingham Mayoral High Road" Ha, ha - brilliant.
Oh come on guys you're being so unfair!

It was said that the pavements were put in as an after thought and that it was Brian's idea. Clearly Haringey's got more money than we all realised.

Falkland Rd will be declared a Conservation area soon. But please don't tell anyone else just yet. It's confidential.
Effingham Mayoral High Road
Trees? they are bushes (or very sarcastically) twigs aren't they?

But why the tarmac? It's considered environmentally unfriendly here and is never used.. and is definitely not good for the trees..
@ Hugh but that's what I like to see, designing out the problem with a little greening in the process. Although obviously there will be a few more wing mirrors clipped by the many lorries that use Effingham.

@Steve, I guess a tree has to start somewhere, we were all twigs once before we grew tall :) I'm guessing the tarmac is for all those pesky pavement parkers who find a space between all the nice trees so they don't damage the new paving. We love tarmac in Haringey, we have to, that's all we're entitled to...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service