Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Today (Sunday) was the first of four Wireless festivals/concerts in Finsbury Park. I'm surprised there are no posts about it. Did it affect you? Any feedback (or photos) is being collated by the Friends of Finsbury Park.

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, noise, wireless festival

Views: 8249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I shouldn't think any noise bothers you if you've survived My Bloody Valentine live!

If you have ever had the experience of going to an open air concert / festival and stood at the front of the stage where the bass bins are, then you will be aware that the music is very loud.  It needs to be loud to travel over the entire stage area.  Security constantly hand out free ear-plugs to everyone in the front of the stage the entire day.  You don't need ear plugs when you are standing further back.

If it's not loud enough the paying crowd won't hear it and they will complain, and if it's too loud then you lot complain, it's a lose lose situation.

I see no benefits to the first three mentioned there.

I should like to know the source of the £8 per year figure.  Is it actual or projected?

It is unlikely that I shall be "moving on" from my opposition to these large-scale events in Finsbury Park, or any other park, without a better-argued and substantiated case for them than has been made so far.     

And that is entirely your prerogative. I say it is important to have a balance of people for and against to maintain perspective. To be fair I have only seen perhaps 5 people on here vehemently opposed to it which to my mind probably wont have a tangible effect on whether the concerts continue. 

You still have a voice however and deserve to be heard.

Tris, the income from events goes into the council's general fund. This can be spent on almost any other service provided by Haringey. The only way to guarantee that it's spent on parks is if the income budget has been specifically ring fenced to this. One of the councillors could find out if this is the case.
That's really useful Tris. Obviously what needs looking at is how the cost of restoring the park after events is recouped, leaving the options of either persuing the company for the additional cost (and maybe going into a protracted and costly legal case) or for it to be paid from income which rather negates the benefit of having the event in the first place.
Would the Friends group members on this site give any indication of what ideas they have for the environmental impact money?
Aren't the event organisers responsible for the cost of post -wireless repairs to the park?

The only way to guarantee that it's spent on parks is if the income budget has been specifically ring fenced to this.

Michael I'm not sure this is the case: my impression is that "ring-fencing" as used by the authorities, doesn't actually hold water. I suspect it's a semi-public-relations term, intended to assuage residents or constituents, that money from X will be spent on Y.

I cannot see that it can be anything other than true and meaningless, when so-called "ring-fencing" can simply displace money from an existing budget. The key question is, does it lead to any extra money spent on "Y"?

A stronger term would be hypothecated expenditure.

I dealt with various ring fenced budgets for many years Clive and that's the way in worked in my authority, Can't speak for any others.
Would you be interested In commenting on how another budget has been spent on another thread (below)
http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/funding-opportunity-squ...
I reject the notion that it's just a few....the events are a disaster for the park and for the tens of thousands of residents in the blast zone... As of excitement and entertainment, well, not sure having no choice in the matter is either, and the mob rule this year is just a disgrace

So anyone whose opinion differs from yours is a whinger and anyone who takes an interest in community assets is a busybody ?

Thanks for clarifying that

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service