Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Today (Sunday) was the first of four Wireless festivals/concerts in Finsbury Park. I'm surprised there are no posts about it. Did it affect you? Any feedback (or photos) is being collated by the Friends of Finsbury Park.

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, noise, wireless festival

Views: 8253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fully agree with you Alison. I have no issue with the festival, I just don't think it's fair on residents to lose the use of the park for 4 weeks plus the time it takes for the grass to regenerate. And what benefit do we see at the end of it? When was the last time the council really invested in the park? So many parts of the playground are completely worn out. So someone is profiting, but I suspect it's not us!

I agree wtih the above. I can live with 4 days of loud music. I don't appreciate the majority of the park being cordoned off for four weeks.

Yeah. This annoys me too. I could put up with the noise and the ballache if I could see any benefit whatsoever. I just don't see it. The place is a mess. 

Pav, it depends on what's meant by only a section of the park. The Council claims that most of park remains available to the (non-paying) public, but this is misleading.

1. The 'section' rented to Live Nation is the prime part of our park in every way: south facing, gentle slopes, contiguous and close to transport.
  2. The Council has claimed that this section is a mere 25% of the park or some such spurious figure. Included in the 75% supposedly available to the public, for amenity use, is the lake, the bowling green, football field, scrubland, the running track and areas unusable for anything except Live Nation entry and egress. I would estimate that, of the practically usable amenity space, half to three quarters is alienated from the public.
  3. Live Nation are either using or heavily impacting more than what's inside the steel wall: the ball courts are used as a Live Nation vehicle-park and storage area. The road between the Hornsey gate and Live Nation's gate is used as an staging zone for vehicles going into the site. Much of the parking appears to be taken up by Wireless operators. For the past several days, two big shiny tankers are parked up, ready and waiting to go into the site. They're labelled "Non-hazardous Cargo" and I leave it to your imagination as to what they will be collecting. It could be a metaphor for the way in which the Council treats our park.
  4. It's true that the festival is only on for a few days a year – currently. However, this overlooks that there's one week's build-up and a week's tear down on either side. This effectively denies the best bit of our park to the public for three weeks at the height of summer. Haringey's Council Cabinet in December 2013 lifted the limit on concert days from five to 15. That's 15 days of concert, not counting build-up and down. So there's plenty of headroom for more concerts in the future.
  5. The surface of our park is hammered and parts do not recover for many weeks.

I suggest you make your views known to the council (parks@haringey.gov.uk and join the Friends of Finsbury Park who continue to campaign against the council's large events policy

Nanz - there are a core of curtain twitching busybodies who love to moan about any activity in the park, regardless of the type of entertainment/music.

They regard the park as their own private property simply because they own/rent a property close to it and loathe sharing even a small part it for anyone else to enjoy, particularly if, heaven forbid, they come from outside the area.

In their opinion the THOUSANDS people who are enjoying themselves at the concerts in the park have no right to be there, because it means the people who have the benefit of Finsbury Park EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE YEAR have to walk an extra 5 minutes around the cordoned off concert site to cross the park ... an outrageous inconvenience!

As for the noise, the police helicopters are much more intrusive and irritating than the gentle sound of distant music and the ripples of applause from the happy gig goers, but the busybodies will be out in force with their downloaded decibel meter apps on their phones, praying for the wind to change direction and carry the music towards them.

If the money the council receives for renting the space to the promoters gets ploughed back into local services and helps offset the savage budget cuts the council endures surely that is a good thing.

These concerts are few and far between, giving the park time to recover... if it's the inconvenience they are upset about, surely the Arsenal football match once every two weeks is a much bigger inconvenience in the area, with the massive crowds, the noise, the disruption to traffic, and road closures prior to and after matches, the drunken rowdy behaviour in the streets which can be very intimidating, the enforced match day parking restrictions, the massive deployment of police etc etc .... but they don't seem to complain about that.

I wish I could walk.

The helicopters wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the crowds.

It's a residential park. The concerts take up four weeks of the year. I don't think it's that much of a surprise that people don't particularly like it. 

Your point about Arsenal doesn't really hold up as they've been there longer than most of the residents. 

The title of this thread is " How did ....the concert... affect YOU " ? - Not the broader community.

Annoyed the hell outta me - I live just by the Arena and it was a constant bassline/thudding all day (and for the soundtest the day before). Have decided it's not worth getting angry or upset about though, as there's nothing I can do, so have instead planned to be away from the house this weekend!

Sharon I know at least one other local resident who will be leaving London at the time of the coming big noise; most likely, because of it.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service