Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Today (Sunday) was the first of four Wireless festivals/concerts in Finsbury Park. I'm surprised there are no posts about it. Did it affect you? Any feedback (or photos) is being collated by the Friends of Finsbury Park.

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, noise, wireless festival

Views: 8247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Got my flier through the door alerting me to noise.but it was great to get the line up for the first time so treated myself to a ticket tomorrow. So excited, much better than listening from my garden or outside the arena. Although to be fair I haven't heard much yet, think it depends on the wind direction

I posted on the Sunday evening just after it had finished:-

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/finsbury-park-concert-1...

The security staff are horrible about photos and mobile videos even when nothing is going on. The money clearly is NOT being invested back into the park.  I for one like the wireless festival but getting sick of the lack of reinvestment (whatever they claim), the ever larger footprint of the festival itself and the lack of parking controls (even though I have an email from the council last year stating very clearly that they will always manage residents parking for large events). They have decided it isn't required but I couldn't get parked on any of the 4 nights that were on.

I don't understand why anybody, apart from those who are disabled needs to drive to a park which is served by 2 tube stations.

The park (according to the council) costs £350,000 a year to maintain. Wireless generates £400,000. Now I've been told off recently for criticising the council over this paltry figure. Apparently because of FoI (which is how I came by this information) they go into the negotiations with an open hand so Wireless know that £400K is an acceptable figure. I think that because of the rarity value that Finsbury Park has for music festivals the figure should be more like that much, per weekend.

I was at Wireless last Friday and will be there this Saturday and Sunday as part of the media crew (taking photos, interviewing artists...) for my website the Summer Festival Guide (http://www.summerfestivalguide.co.uk), note the shameless promotion :)

In terms of numbers last Sunday, it was relatively quiet, but I think you will find with today and Saturday sold out, there will be considerably more people on site and the sound may very well be much louder.

Personally for me, it's great having access to such an event in close proximity to home.  I know it's not everyone's taste in music and there is damage done to the park which is the case with any event like this, but there are not many other places in London to host these type of events.

Is it because of the type of crowd / music here that most people are so negative about the event, or is it the impact it has on the park and surrounding neighbours?  It would be great to get some more insight into what people would think if it was a different type of festival, say a family orientated festival.

It's because it's far too loud. So loud that last year people actually attending the concerts chose to wear ear plugs. How crazy is that ?

Hi Nanz

For me it isn't really the noise or volume of people (though I should say I'm far enough away for the noise to be a minor thing) - what drives me NUTS is the extent to which it limits how people can use the park during the summer. I went through yesterday and it was pretty sad seeing people crowded on to the few grassy banks outside the hoarding on a gorgeous sunny day. I don't have a problem with the events per se but I would like to see far more thought given to how it could disrupt less of the park - especially when you've now got Wireless effectively running over two weekends which means that, if you factor in setting up and shutting down time it's in operation for something like 2-3 weeks? Over the most gorgeous few weeks of the year - such a shame. 

As you say, there aren't many places in London to do this - so I'd like Haringey to be a bit more forceful about their terms and conditions, on behalf of their residents. Or just say no!

It's most of the Park, Pav.

Pav, it's the whole park from the playground to the main 7 sisters road gate (which is the busiest section) plus the tarmaced area by the railway line. And it really isn't a 'few days' - Wireless has happened over two weekends with the week in the middle - and doesn't appear or vanish quickly either. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service